Domain name taken as blog spot

(5 Posts)
NoForkNKnife Wed 12-Jun-13 21:31:57

That's true. I just liked the idea of both the site and app having the same name.
I need to look into SEO for a site I've built my husband. But I bet there is a similar way in the app store.
Thanks again.

WilsonFrickett Wed 12-Jun-13 21:27:12

You should speak to someone who knows SEO but I would think the main thing is most people shop for apps in app stores, rather than the web. So the issue may not even come up if your app is your main touch point?

NoForkNKnife Wed 12-Jun-13 21:20:45

Thanks smile.
It looks like a new blog as only a few posts. I could use a less obvious name for my site but then I'm worried people ssearching apps etc wouldn't find it (but maybe you can get round this).

I've got a list of ideas, now I need a crash course in app design. I can just about manage the website. During my research into alternative names, I found an unbuilt site that could potentially be a rival. I'd better get started grin.

WilsonFrickett Wed 12-Jun-13 17:29:00

Depends what the blog is really. Is it something that would make your target customers run screaming into the hills if they googled you and got them? Is the blog particularly well-known or active? Is the name something that could reasonably be known as a trademark or other intellectual property?

Like, if you called your app The Bloggess, then the bloggess would probably not be too happy as that is a successful brand already. If you were calling it, I dunno, pink bunnies (shit example but hopefully yswim) there's no way that could be considered a trademark or brand.

NoForkNKnife Wed 12-Jun-13 11:51:43

Would you buy and use a domain name that was 'taken' as a blog spot? Is it a bad idea? Legally, is it a 'no no'?

I have had an idea knocking about for years. I'm currently on maternity leave and have been motivated to try and crack on with it. Without going into details, it involves a website, app and an ebook (possibly).

But, the domain name I had in mind has been taken by someone as a blog. I've tried playing about with it, but it doesn't have the same ring or look to it.

WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now