Starting out as a translator

(3 Posts)
jenduck Tue 04-Jun-13 13:46:48

So, I want to do some freelance work as a translator (French/German into English) but I don't really know how to go about it. Does anybody have any ideas?

I got an MA in Translation in 2004 in these languages. I have looked into joining ITI but I'm not sure I could do this because I graduated such a long time ago, and since then I have only worked for my father's firm (of Solicitors), then had my 2 DC, plus have done the odd translation here & there, but not enough to get the required references.

Thoughts I had were: to look on Translators Cafe & apply for jobs on there. To contact translation agencies in my local area.

Thanks in advance for any ideas smile

Fraxinus Tue 11-Jun-13 21:23:58

Do you want to do interpreting as well?

I don't know much about translation other than I find it more time consuming than it works out economically for me.

Interpreting is better because you get paid for your time.

Good luck.

ITI has new membership categories now, don't know if that would help though. There are loads of blogs giving advice on translation - have a look at Business School for Translators, The Translator's Teacup and Thoughts on Translation for a start.

It's like starting any new business. You have to be absolutely sure you want to do it, and keep plugging away at it till you get a breakthrough. Be careful on Translators Cafe as there can be some very low payers on sites like that, same with ProZ. Maybe more use as a place to find reputable agencies as is the list of ITI's corporate members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now