Where do I start?

(17 Posts)
birchykel Wed 15-May-13 13:49:41

Ok so basically I really want to start working from home, simply because I have two daughters and if I went back to work in a job where I had to pay for childcare that would be all I was working for and so I would be no better off.
I would like be able to take care of my children while earning a little.
I understand its going to cost for the initial lay out.

Now here's the problem, I'm not sure what i can do?
My friend has her own cake business and suggested I do something to do with weddings as this is where the money is, but what do people really want for their weddings?
How do i research this?

Can anyone give me advice on where to start?

Thanks in advance.
X

flowery Wed 15-May-13 13:54:36

What are your skills, what is your background? If you want to work for yourself by far the best option is to do what you are already good at, maximise skills and experience you already have, rather than launching yourself into business in an area you are not experienced in.

birchykel Wed 15-May-13 14:28:13

Yes I agree but my background is child care and I've recently had major back surgery and told I'm not allowed to lift even my own child.
So if I want to do something then I need to look into different areas that will not involve heavy lifting, lots of bending etc.
I understand ill have to probably do some kind of training if I went into wedding planning, or anything else really.

lovefreelance Wed 15-May-13 16:10:39

What are you passionate about? What are you good at (other than specific work skills)? Eg are you super-organised, efficient and good with people? Make a list of the things you love and are good at doing and see if you can spot any patterns.

I like Alan Sugar's advice to would-be-business owners - start a business in something you know. So aside from your skills, what do you have knowledge about - being a woman and being are mum are two things for starters.

I agree that weddings can be lucrative, but you need to have passion and some skills to make it work. Going into something just because you think it might earn you money isn't the best idea in the world as you won't be as good as someone who really, really loves what they do and is prepared to go the extra mile.

If you have an idea and want to know how to get started with it, take a look at the advice here: www.talentedladiesclub.com/help/

birchykel Wed 15-May-13 21:56:21

Thank you, that's really good advice and ill take a look at the link.
Seriously can't thank you enough you have given me alot to think about.

X

WilsonFrickett Wed 15-May-13 22:23:58

Are your children pre-schoolers? And are you planning to work around them, ie will they be at home while you work? Because that will limit you somewhat. I would hesitate to get into something like wedding planning for example, if it's going to be difficult for you to take calls or go to meetings. Brides want you when they want you - not when it fits round nap schedules.

I'm not saying its impossible to work round DCs (rather than using school hours or childcare) but if that's your situation you have to think very carefully about your availability.

My DS is 7, is fairly independent and of course is at school. But that's me just finished work tonight at 10pm because I had to finish something off tonight rather than start tomorrow with too much to do.

birchykel Wed 15-May-13 22:28:26

Yes I can see what your saying, I'm definitely not going to rush into anything. I have a ten year old girl and a 22 month old girl so yes I have to give it some serious thought.
So difficult when you want to do the best for your family but I also do want to do something for myself.

I'm going to think about what I'm good at firstly.

SizzleSazz Wed 15-May-13 22:34:22

Once you have decided on a business, you need to check out HMRC here to register as self employed for tax and NI. You may well not have to pay tax (and may be exempt from NI), but you have to register from the day you first establish your business.

Good luck!

WilsonFrickett Wed 15-May-13 22:38:49

I have to say now DS is at school freelancing works brilliantly for me so it's worth laying the groundwork now, even if it's not something that will suit you in the shorter term. Good luck!

ThreeDudesOnABus Thu 16-May-13 05:58:40

I disagree about "passion".

When women follow their passion they end up making trinkets and selling them on etsy.

Do you want a viable business or do you want to do a bit of sewing?

AuntLucyInPeru Thu 16-May-13 06:52:47

My best tip for working out your skills ... Write out (long hand) five stories about five different times when you did something that was successful and you got a strong sense of satisfaction whilst doing it.

Then give the stories to someone else and ask them to identify what skills you demonstrate in the stories. See which skills recur. Then you need to find a job which uses these skills.

Do it - then come back here with your skills and we'll all come up with jobs you can do at home using those skills grin

lovefreelance Thu 16-May-13 07:57:30

Why does 'passion' mean a woman is necessarily just going to make trinkets to sell on etsy?!! I have followed my passions throughout my career and there's nothing vaguely crafty about me! By passion I mean doing things that naturally interest you. I have a friend who has a passion for numbers and finance, and she followed that passion to a high flying career in the city.

By doing things that genuinely strike a chord with you, you're more likely to be successful, rather than choosing a career just for money. I'd much rather be paid (a lot of money) for doing something I love - and I am. We spend so much of our life working, so much better to love it, I think.

WilsonFrickett Thu 16-May-13 10:49:53

Completely agree love. I've always been passionate about work. And I've worked at the sharp end of financial services for years. I still get work in that sector because I have a genuine passion for my audience. WTF would be the point of starting up a business doing something you hate?

I also can't sew. <proud>

lovefreelance Thu 16-May-13 13:39:59

My children will testify to the fact that I clearly cannot sew either! Nor can I bake cakes.

birchykel Thu 16-May-13 16:44:58

I can't sew if my life depended on it lol.
I think u need passion in anything u do especially work. I don't just wana start a business in making things, I'm not very creative anyway. The wedding thing was just an idea my friend suggested but I'm not the creative type.
I would love to be creative and be able to make money out of it. I'm not really sure what I can do, I have two children and have always worked in childcare, I have a great understanding of mental health. But I can't really think of other skills I have. Hmmmm maybe I shouldn't even be thinking of doing this?

lovefreelance Thu 16-May-13 17:20:57

Don't look at just the areas of expertise you have (childcare, mental health) but also what you are good at within them. Eg what makes you so good at what you do in childcare? Are you great at organising, motivating or negotiating etc? Make lists of all the things in life you're good at (even things like getting on well with people) and then look at what kind of work needs these types of skills.

Don't just restrict yourself to your old industries - think broader. Maybe if you find it difficult to identify your own qualities, ask people you have worked with what they think you're particularly good at. I'm sure you have many more valuable skills than you think!

birchykel Fri 17-May-13 09:12:52

Thanks love, yes iris difficult looking at myself and trying to work out what I'm good at. I'm having a girlie eve with friends tonight so may put it to them and see what they come up with....may regret asking lol.
So far I know I'm good at paperwork, but based on children, I'm good at reading to children. Oh dear. Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now