I loathe my new contract ... advice please

(4 Posts)
suebfg Fri 10-May-13 19:13:28

I've recently taken on a new contract which I got by way of recommendation from a previous employer. I had no interview for the role so being out of work, I accepted the contract.

Now I've started, I'm deeply unhappy. The main issues are:

- there is a very loose scope to the work and I'm being thrown work from all directions, some of which I feel unqualified to deal with

- I work part time hours but the work is not part-time and I feel like I'm drowning

- No one else in the organisation does what I do so I feel very isolated and I'm used to working more as part of a team

Any advice please on what to do. Part of me can deal with the mentality of one day at a time but I'm not sure I can hack this for the duration of the contract.

lovefreelance Fri 10-May-13 20:07:59

You need to be direct with them sooner rather than later - for everyone's sake. Tell them that you are concerned that as things are, you're not delivering as well as you could, and be specific as to what needs to change. By being 'nice' and saying nothing, you risk either burning out or delivering substandard work - and that would be awful for everyone.

Sometimes clients need a little guidance to help them get the work they want. And usually they're grateful when you're proactive and take responsibility for changing something that could work better. And if they're not, you may want to reconsider if it's worth your sanity and professional reputation to continue with the job!

buildingmycorestrength Fri 10-May-13 20:15:51

Are you a freelancer on a project? Or more like a temporarily contracted employee? Expectations will be different, but in either case you should have clarity of expectations and regular contact with your management.

suebfg Fri 10-May-13 21:17:44

Hi, it's not project based. My contracts tend to become longer term as they are difficult skills to find. So it's temporary work that isn't very temporary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now