Feeling a bit disheartened

(11 Posts)
Alix81 Tue 07-May-13 13:51:02

Going through a bad business patch right now and currently thinking is it worth keeping my website going. Sales are so bad lately that I am lucky if I make enough to cover fees sad As I'm hardly making anything I don't feel like putting the effort in so I guess that doesn't really help. Just don't get why people aren't buying anything from me any more. Just going through my site making sure everything is up to date, it just takes so long.

Do you have any ideas to get my website more known / ideas to bring in sales?

WilsonFrickett Tue 07-May-13 15:06:34

What's your field and I'll have a think.

Alix81 Tue 07-May-13 16:20:59

I sell car parts and accessories... The last two years were great then We had our second child so I had less time to spend on the website.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 07-May-13 17:13:30

Given people are saving on garage fees and digging out Haynes manuals I'd have thought you were in a great position.

So, what's wrong with the website/SEO/marketing?

WilsonFrickett Tue 07-May-13 17:42:57

How are you getting people to the website? And what are they doing once they get there?

topsi Tue 07-May-13 18:20:51

I am feeling the same, work has been dead for 2-3 weeks now for me. I have a web site on the first page of google, am trying to do the face book thing, have sent out texts and just done a mail shot to some old clients from years ago and nothing.
I am having sleepless nights as we don't have any savings to speak of.
I was doing really well up to a few weeks ago!

Alix81 Wed 08-May-13 14:35:24

Well I've been trying adwords. last year adwords brought in a load of customers but for some reason people have stopped buying. I have turned my ads off for now because I think I need to re-write them.

I have been working on getting keywords on all product pages and re-writing descriptions so the wording is slightly different than on other car accessories websites.

I don't pay to advertise anywhere. I'm a bit scared of paying in case it doesn't bring in any customers.

I have so many more products to add to my website but don't seem to have enough time in the day to do all I want!

m0nkeynuts Wed 08-May-13 16:44:02

Do you have an analytics package set up - e.g. Google Analytics? GA is really helpful to finding out how people arrive on your site, the top paths through your site (i.e. where people go after they've clicked onto your homepage or whatever they land on first) and your top exit pages (i.e. where people click AWAY from your site).

Analysis of this information might give you clues as to why your site isn't converting as well as it used to.

If you want to PM my your web address, I'd be happy to have a look and see if anything jumps out at me.

Likewise topsi - you're welcome to PM me your site details too.

Fresh pair of eyes an' all that! smile

WilsonFrickett Wed 08-May-13 16:50:18

You need a targetted plan if time is short.

As monkey says, look at what people are doing when they get to your website and take steps to fix that first - these potential customers have already found you so work out how you keep them/get them to spend.

Check your pricing and product range against competitors too - make sure you're not being undercut or that there's not a new kid in town.

Then, once you've got a handle on that, add your new products.

Then work out how to get more customers to your website - ie develop a marketing strategy for new customers. That can be adwords, or not - but if you know where your customers are coming from, you can use that info to target more of the same.

topsi Wed 08-May-13 18:35:38

Hi Monkey, thanks for the offer I would really appreciate that. I am clicking on your name but it doesn't seem to allow me to message you.

m0nkeynuts Wed 08-May-13 20:19:10

Have sent you a PM, topsi! Hopefully you'll be able to reply to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now