In need of an affordable web designer.

(18 Posts)
Jimhedrick82 Mon 16-Sep-13 13:36:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ethelb Wed 07-Aug-13 19:20:06

A friend of mine works here: http://www.obimedia.co.uk/

They are good. I don't know how expensive they are but they won't rip you off!

TheDoctrineOfAllan Thu 01-Aug-13 23:12:38

<marks place>

I have already registered my domain via Network Solutions and I am getting webmail at me@domainname.com but now I need a hosting system, to transfer the domain to the host and pay for that and a simple front page that doesn't say "under construction" or whatever.

Are vidahost any good?

MoneyMakingMum Mon 29-Jul-13 01:59:01

get in touch with
www.amandamurdochmarketing.com - They do a start up package for £99

Buswanker Sun 14-Jul-13 22:30:36

WordPress?
Try these people: http://hotdogdesigns.co.uk/
They did a friend of a friends.

daisydee43 Fri 21-Jun-13 15:25:47

I went on webs.com set up a free website and then it's easy and professional looking to create. You can anything and for few pound you can create your own domain

makeusawebsite Tue 18-Jun-13 20:54:21

I would have loved to also throw our name into the hat... but its looks like I am a little late. If things change do get in touch smile

www.makeusawebsite.com

usedtobe Wed 12-Jun-13 13:49:24

http://websitelounge.co.uk/

chickorita Mon 20-May-13 12:17:10

Thank you all for your response, which is really appreciated. smile

I have managed to find a relatively cheap agency based in Cornwall, and so far so good. Should things change down the line, then at least I'll know who to call on.

Hi I am self employed and did my own website through 1and1. I am a total technophobe and I managed it, very cheap, you get emails for the same domain too. The website is only the first part, there are hosting fees, search engine optimisation and other charges that you'd have on an ongoing basis whoever does your website so you need to shop around.I pay about £85 a quarter for the website design bit, email addys, simple search engine optimisation. They have a very good helpdesk and are very patient with someone like me who sometimes doesn't even know the questions I need to ask to get the information I need.

BoredEasily Fri 17-May-13 12:55:34

If you need help with Wordpress, I can point you in the right direction or set it up for you - completely free as i'm trying to build up a portfolio at the moment. PM me for more details.

grooveland Fri 10-May-13 00:48:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lemonygem Tue 07-May-13 10:54:13

It really depends on your budget - I am a web and branding designer, but if this is your first website, I wouldn't spend much money (in fact, I wouldn't spend any) on a web designer. The only reason I say this is that most people don't have a clear idea of their brand identity which grows over time, and web designers charge lots of money because designing and developing a website actually takes a lot of time, money an skill.

If you want to start a decent looking website for under £100 today (rather than in 4 - 6 weeks with a web designer - and that's not taking into account their queue of clients before you), by far and away, the best way to start would be to buy some hosting, register your domain and install Wordpress (most places offer a one-click install, so it's really simple.)

You can grab hosting (and domains, so you won't need to go elsewhere), from places like www.site5.com, www.dreamhost.com, www.bluehost.com or www.hostgator.com, and you can set it all up in a few minutes for not a lot of dosh (which is nice!)

There are thousands of free and very inexpensive WordPress templates, it's probably a platform that you'll continue on with as your business grows (unless you start a massive e-commerce venture, at which point you'll probably need a specific e-commerce platform), however it sounds like what you're looking for is simply a "hey! I'm here and I'm awesome!" little space on the web, ad with Wordpress you can then start your own blog as well.

(shameless plug warning!) I also offer a Pimp Your Own WordPress Website 5-day crash course which is completely free, you can sign up on my website www.janeandphilbert.com, which shows you everything from how to change your font to creating your own graphics all for bog all - you might find it useful!

chickorita Tue 30-Apr-13 17:18:53

Shameless bump! grin

chickorita Mon 29-Apr-13 17:50:25

Thanks so much to you both - such a fast response. smile

I'll take a look at the websites you've recommended Melissa, but I'm not too savvy, so would be worried it would end up looking crap!

BeGood, I'll be pm you now. Thanks again.

Melissakitkat Mon 29-Apr-13 16:54:01

Hi check out www.yola.com websites are easy to DIY nowawadays! X check out www.istockphotos.com for photos & logos you can buy. X

BeGoodElliot Mon 29-Apr-13 16:51:57

My DP is a freelance web designer and also does logo design. If you have a rough idea of what you want and/or budget in mind he could give you a quote or whatever and show some examples of things he's done in the past.

Feel free to pm me rather than say on the thread if you'd rather smile

chickorita Mon 29-Apr-13 16:47:49

If you're a web designer, or know one that doesn't charge the earth, please get in touch.

I'm just starting up a business, so really don't have a great deal of money to spend on a website, but I do know I need web presence.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. smile

Oh, I also need a logo design too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now