Some questions about Google adwords

(5 Posts)
Blipbip Thu 11-Apr-13 09:45:48

I have been here asking questions about adwords about a year ago under a different name. I have been using it for nearly a year and it is certainly helping to grow my business. My budget has been set at £5 per day and I have been getting nowhere near that - it has been costing me between £30-£40 per month, I constantly change the bids and try to monitor the most successful keywords etc and it has been paying for itself in custom generated.

Until recently... Last month I set about properly launching my business; I had a big open day, delivered loads of leaflets and generally went about telling the world that I exist (I know its an odd way to start a business a year after I actually started it but it has taken some time to get the confidence). Anyway since then Adwords has gone mental - I am getting up to twenty clicks a day and it has been exceeding my £5/day budget but when I check keywords most of the clicks don't seem to be registering i.e I had 19 clicks but only one directly through adwords all the others seem to be through the total display network. The monthly fee has rocketed to £65 -yikes!

I think that total display network is other search engines allied to google but surely all clicks should show on my key words counter so that I can see which words are doing well etc, as it is I have no idea where all these clicks are coming from and no way of monitoring them. I have used analytics but its not helping much.

Any insights into what is going on would be appreciated please

Talkinpeace Thu 11-Apr-13 15:33:35

display network is bilge - set price per click on it to 1p as a default and then release specific sites if they look valid

Blipbip Thu 11-Apr-13 16:56:54

Sorry, I might have sounded like I knew what I was talking about in my OP grin

How do I see which sites I'm being displayed on? and if I set all my keywords to 1p I will lose display on Adwords wont I?

All I know is that I can turn off total display network, I did and got no clicks yesterday... I'm most worried that google seem so free and loose about my daily budget tba. I have lowered that to £4 and turned total display back on but don't know how to rig it to suit me.

My business is a service and it is local only so I'm wondering if total display is actually needed

Talkinpeace Thu 11-Apr-13 21:00:14

Hi there
Right, I just looked at my own adwords campaign and by golly they have messed about with the screens!

Go to campaign, and then keywords,
set the max CPC on each of your words to aim for place number 3 : which is about 75% of what they say will take your to the front page

then go to display network and set the max CPC to 1p
and DO not let it override you ...

and remember that if you are selling services (as I am on DHs site), CTR of 0.5% is just fine

Blipbip Fri 12-Apr-13 08:17:55

Hi Talkinpeace and thank you for your patience,

I have pretty much started again, I have set all my original key words to .01p and just upped the bids on the words that are very targeted to me...I have had a CTR of about 0.5% and below which is fine by me.

I then went into display network settings but when I tick all the words I'm not getting an option to edit the CPC.

On reflection I don't know if I need total display network anyway as I'm fairly niche and people tend to know what they are looking for when they search my keywords but now I can't work out how to turn it off...grr!

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now