Nice 301 redirect for Wordpress?

(7 Posts)
DolomitesDonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 12:57:32

hello, has anyone come across one of these they can recommend? I don't mind paying a bit if it's not freeware.

MrAnchovy Mon 25-Mar-13 13:50:32

A 301 redirect is not presented to the user by any mainstream browser so not sure what you mean by a nice one?

DolomitesDonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 15:51:07

By nice, I mean relatively simple for ME to use and unlikely to conflict with other plugins.

Found 3 in plugins on wp. One not updated for years, one required subsequent plugin download (looked dodgy) and third had no feedback.

So if anyone had a tried and tested recommendations I'd appreciate it.

MrAnchovy Mon 25-Mar-13 17:01:47

The one not updated for years looks OK - redirects happen very early in page load so conflicts/need for updates are unlikely.

If you are resonably confident with a text editor you can just do it in your .htaccess file of course.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 26-Mar-13 06:04:07

Thanks. smile I shall investigate the .htaccess option too - that might well be the preferred one in this instance.

fcknits Sat 06-Apr-13 23:08:57

Did you get this fixed? It's very easy to do. If you're redirecting www to non-www, or vice-versa, then it's a rewriterule and if you're redirecting one page to another then it's a redirect 301.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 07-Apr-13 07:07:11

I looked at the htaccess file which is definitely the best option - sadly however yanking up my google webmaster file and cross-referencing with the htaccess file is still on my list and I keep hitting the postpone button. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now