Confused-employed full time but going to do minimal self employed work too

(6 Posts)
awaywego1 Wed 06-Mar-13 22:50:07

Hi there, any advice much appreciated. I work full time as an employee but have been asked to do some private work too-however this will only be £50 a month. So do I have to register as self employed to do this? If so how? No idea where to start atall!

MrAnchovy Thu 07-Mar-13 00:15:25

No, just call HMRC and explain the situation and they will adjust your tax code to collect an estimate of the extra tax due.

ethelb Thu 14-Mar-13 21:33:40

I have been in this situation and if it is only £50 a month then you just need to call them up and they will take those earnings out of your tax-free allowance, and won't necessarily have to change your tax code or register you as self employed. But call them up for clarification.

MrAnchovy Thu 14-Mar-13 23:44:40

"they will take those earnings out of your tax-free allowance, and won't necessarily have to change your tax code"

How would they do that without adjusting your tax code?

awaywego1 Fri 15-Mar-13 17:18:30

Thanks! It's only an hours work a month so hardly worth it but I guess ill ring payroll.

MrAnchovy Sat 16-Mar-13 00:36:33

No, your own payroll will have nothing to do with this (other than deducting additional tax in accordance with the new tax code HMRC will send them) - you need to call HMRC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now