Hi, looking advice on where/how to sell my work.

(6 Posts)
BoredEasily Tue 12-Mar-13 13:28:23

I was also going to suggest Not On The High Street, used it for my business and while it is not cheap (joining fee plus commission) 90% of my sales over the Christmas period were through it. But it is also easy enough to set up your own website using Wordpress, which is important even with the other channels, selling at markets etc as people might look you up, you can sell directly (with good Search Engine Optimization so people can find you) and if you want any PR from magazines this will be useful. Also important as and when you can afford it are professional/excellent quality product photographs -essential for sites like Not On the High Street and also vital if you want to get any magazine PR. as they will always want good photos.

TeamEdward Fri 01-Mar-13 19:23:16

What about "Not on the high street"?
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/join/more

MiniTheMinx Fri 01-Mar-13 19:15:58

Hi kikimcnee, I run a business selling personalised gifts, I have sent you a pm with the details for our website. See what you think and let me know.

We stock lots of children's gifts and some unique gifts from small suppliers and we are always looking for interesting and different ideas, especially keen to source children's canvases and name plates/tiles and frames for nursery decoration.

kikimcnee Fri 01-Mar-13 19:06:11

Hi Flubba,

thanks for the advice. I'll post it in arts and crafts too then

flubba Fri 01-Mar-13 06:10:01

You could try a small stall at a local fair to start off with - make up a few of the most popular names in their different styles to show what you can do (and as they're popular names, you may even be able to sell one or two on the day) and have a booking-form for people to be able to order bespoke ones from you.

Try posting this in Arts & Crafts too - lots of lovely crafters who'll be able to point you in the right direction.

kikimcnee Thu 28-Feb-13 21:58:45

Hi everyone,

I'm a young Illustrator, currently studying part-time, and I've just started making these illustrated children's name prints. I never really intended on getting in to children's illustration but I made one for my Nephew's 1st birthday and people just seemed to really like them.

Since then I've sold a few to family, friends, friends of family, but I'd really like to get them noticed by more people and hopefully set up a steady stream of business to help me get by whilst I finish my MA and maybe even grow in to something bigger.

So basically what I'm asking is if people know of anywhere that's a good place to start when selling children's gifts. Any trade fairs (though I'm not quite ready for trade fairs yet I don't think), websites, shops?

I've tried Etsy but haven't sold anything on there, I think because there's just SO much on that website it's hard to get noticed. Has anyone had any luck with Etsy/Folky? And if so how did you achieve this?

Sorry for such a long post! But any advice would be massively appreciated!

K xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now