How/how much to charge?

(4 Posts)
OneWaySystemBlues Thu 21-Feb-13 18:06:14

I've been offered some proofreading work by a local University - to help a student for whom English is a second language, who has good spoken language but who has some problems with the written work. It is a science subject. I have done a little bit of proofreading before, but I've not had training and as I'm not doing it for a publisher I don't need to know any of the short hand etc. My question is, how should I charge - by the page or by the hour? And what would be a reasonable rate, given my experience? I am a graduate in an arts subject, who enjoys writing and English. Oh, and I'm not in London, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help!

WilsonFrickett Fri 22-Feb-13 17:24:54

Are you going to be proof-reading or editing? I think often the lines are blurred with student work. I found this online

www.dissertationeditinghelp.co.uk/price-plan.html

OneWaySystemBlues Sat 23-Feb-13 10:47:24

They said proofreading, but I think it may stray into editing. Really just correcting the student's English and making sure it makes sense.

WilsonFrickett Sat 23-Feb-13 11:15:42

That's definitely editing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now