ohhh god I've done it - I've gone self employed

(5 Posts)
arightoldbag Wed 13-Feb-13 11:04:44

which is very scary when you're used to a salary each month in the bank. I was lying in bed last night worrying about suddenly getting ill and not being able to work/the house falling down and not being able to work/my pc going on the blink - I am a natural worrier.

BUT I suppose it is much nicer to be at home. My DS is only 2.5 and I can only afford nursery for 3 mornings a week, so have to squeeeeeeeeeze it all in - mainly transcription work/general pa/marketing.

I need to mainly to be able to afford groceries. After that I'm fine.

Oh god.

cochonette Wed 13-Feb-13 11:46:40

It is scary when you go self-employed - but also v liberating I found!
It's amazing having the flexibility to be with your kids when you need to be, and you just have to get used to managing your finances in a different way, I have to ration out my earnings as tho I'm paying myself a wage IYSWIM.

JustCallMeFish Wed 13-Feb-13 11:49:57

My only advice would be make sure you give yourself some clocking off time and spend it with the family.

It's easy to think you'll just make a quick phone call, send a quick email, check the price of xyz, need to return a call etc then before you know it you have no family time and no work time.

Done self employed. I know how scary it can be. I understand the pressure to get the money in.

And congratulations of course!

JustCallMeFish Wed 13-Feb-13 11:50:51

-no family time and its all work time that should read!

OhGood Wed 20-Feb-13 19:27:33

Hooray, well done, it's brilliant!

My first week as a freelance I made 70 quid, blew it all on Friday night, woke up Saturday with an appalling hangover thinking 'Oh GOD what have I done...'

That was 6 years ago and I am going strong and loving having more control over my life and time - and occasionally astounded by what I can earn.

Good luck and watch out for the breaks and grab them when you can. Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now