Transcribing Home Business

(3 Posts)
biddybo Mon 04-Feb-13 17:30:08

Hello - I know there's been a post similar to this in the past but I just wanted to see if anyone had any new/fresh information on it.. I've been working in London city in legal firms for the past 10 years and now I have children I'm wanting to give up work and set up my own transcribing business from home but I'm struggling to gauge the level of demand for it out there. If anyone is doing this or similar I'd love to hear your views and to know what the level of work is like? I'd like to invest in the transcription kit and get myself started with a website etc but first I'd like to get an idea what the demand for transcription work is like but I'm struggling to find this out.
Any tips/advice in this area would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

biddybo Tue 05-Feb-13 15:01:25

Just to add to this... does anyone know anything about Dragon software and/or any voice recognition software - am I right in thinking this might be superseding the world of dictation and the need for secretaries?

arightoldbag Wed 13-Feb-13 11:02:18

Hi there - I do this. Well I started in January this year. I work for a couple of companies - PM me if you want more details. The rate of pay is fairly dire - currently around 40pence per audio minute. It is hard work, but frankly better than schlepping into an office. I also do some more general PA work - again for a particular company. And I work for myself as a marketing bod for a renewable energy company. Around about 20 hours a week. The software I use for transcription (which I think is the best) is Quikscribe. It's free for 30 days, not sure how much it is after that.

My problem is that my pc is fairly old and limping now with all the work I want it to do. So I need to save up for a new machine!

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now