Counselling and Psycotherapy?

(14 Posts)
Witco Tue 29-Jan-13 23:04:19

Hi, I took voluntary redundancy at Christmas and an considering what to do next. I have been interviewed and accepted by a well-respected Psychotherapy and Counselling BA (hons) course but it is expensive and DH is expressing concern. What would you do? I feel I am at the right place in my life to do this well but I need his support. Help!

grants1000 Wed 30-Jan-13 08:53:08

Do it, now or never. Have you looked into loans & grants etc, you can get a student load if you have never had one before. Call student services at whichever place of education you will attend and they should be able to help. Time will pass very quickly andbefore you know it, degree in hand!

AlwaysOneMissing Wed 30-Jan-13 12:53:20

What is your DHs concern, the lack of income?
What would you do if you didn't attend the course? Do you have any other work lined up?
How do you feel about the course - is it a passion?

It depends on how much you want to do it and how much you are willing to sacrifice. Once you have the degree, no one can take it away from you, and I would assume that your earning potential would rise.

mellen Wed 30-Jan-13 12:56:12

Will it lead to you being recognised to deliver psychotherapy?

Witco Wed 30-Jan-13 19:17:36

Thanks all. I can do the course around working and I am looking for work. Yes, I really want to do it but I will have to fund it myself and DH thinks it is too much of 'a gamble'. I want to dig my heels in and just go for it but I respect his opinion. Part of wanting to do it is because I will have a skill and can practice as a Psychotherapist and Counsellor when I graduate. God he's so frustrating sometimes confused

AlwaysOneMissing Thu 31-Jan-13 11:08:32

If you are really passionate about it I would talk to your DH again with a detailed plan of how you would manage it, the financial aspect of it etc, and if you can find work to do around the course, surely that's the biggest hurdle overcome?

Although I think you should properly and realistically investigate whether there is actually any work out there for counseller/psychotherapists before you take the plunge. (I don't know the answer to that one).

Witco Thu 31-Jan-13 21:14:14

Thanks Always, in doing that now. And there is work out there in Ireland - lots of stressed and depressed people post Celtic Tiger

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 01-Feb-13 10:10:01

I'd agree with the general sentiment of other posters, if this is what you really want to do, then you go for it. Hopefully DH can be convinced.

Could you tap into any Counselling and Psycotherapy networks now to start making contacts/get a sense of the scene? Those contacts could then be useful when you are ready to start 'trading'.

I think the issue isn't the demand as such, but maybe more if people are able to pay for services. Or are you aiming for health service work, is that easy to come by?

The successful Counselling/Psycotherapy people I have met have tended to be very good at self-promotion. So website etc but also offering things like cheap group sessions (obviously with the idea of capturing private session clients) or maybe partnering with other complementary service providers.

It has always struck me that it must be difficult for Counsellors/Psycotherapists re business development. On the one hand you want to help your client heal, but the end of the healing means no more business for you from that person. I guess they cover all this in the course.

Good luck with convincing DH & the course.

Witco Sat 02-Feb-13 17:41:37

Have convinced DH that it is worth doing, thanks all

AlwaysOneMissing Sat 02-Feb-13 19:43:02

Well done and good luck x

Witco Wed 06-Feb-13 23:21:06

First lectures this evening and I sooooo enjoyed it. I am glad I pushed this with DH, thanks Mumsnet for your support!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 07-Feb-13 04:34:28

Great stuff. Well done. Nice to hear a positive update.

AlwaysOneMissing Thu 07-Feb-13 11:40:03

Brilliant Witco, thanks for updating us and good luck!

grants1000 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:40:39

yey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now