Aaaagh 21st Jan deadline not 31st to get self-assessment activation code

(9 Posts)
cumfy Thu 31-Jan-13 11:57:17

Managed to donate £36 to an accountant for a File Only service.<Phew>

So thanks to Mr Anchovy for saving me £64.grin

lingle Wed 30-Jan-13 16:34:50

no, it came through by 31st so I was just in time.

I do agree it would be helpful if the Revenue mentioned this issue in their advertisements.

cumfy Wed 30-Jan-13 16:19:41

lingle did you end up paying the £100 fine ?

lingle Wed 30-Jan-13 14:20:23

much sympathy, I remember that happening to me the first year.....

check again tomorrow - I recall it didn't actually take 7 days to reach me.

MrAnchovy Wed 30-Jan-13 11:15:53

You might find someone that will do a "File only service" - cheapaccounting do it for £30 plus VAT but may not do it/charge more for short notice.

Can't believe I just recommended a competitor!

cumfy Tue 29-Jan-13 21:56:50

Thanks for the link.

So it's "just" the £100 fine; the £10/day doesn't kick in until 3 months+.

I am still wondering if it's worth trying to find a certified SA agent to do a really simple return for £60-70.
Is it unrealistic to think this is feasible and will take less than 15 minutes to do the return ?

MrAnchovy Tue 29-Jan-13 21:23:00

... although in your case as you have been asked to submit a tax return you will get the £100 Failure to Submit penalty.

MrAnchovy Tue 29-Jan-13 21:20:23

It has always been like this.

This might help.

cumfy Tue 29-Jan-13 20:52:20

Just went online to submit SA return only to find you need an activation code in addition to the UTR to submit SA online.angry

This activation code takes 7+ days to process

I also now note that the letter they sent about deadline last year has nothing about the 21st January deadline on the front only 31st January deadline and all the stuff about the activation code is on the back.

I know I am being lazy and leaving it late but I only set up in Feb 2012 and literally have a handful of transactions for 2012 tax year and 31st Jan has been imprinted on my mind for ages.

Has the activation code always been like this or is it new for this year ?

£150 or so for n o t h i n g.angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now