Peopleperhour website - Anyone used it?

(10 Posts)

Has anyone used this site either to find freelance work or to find a freelancer?

Francescarose Thu 24-Jan-13 13:41:49

I dabbled with it last year as a seller but found that people generally wanted to pay hardly anything- wanting to pay just over minimum wage for a highly qualified professional in my field.

VirtualAssistant2011 Thu 24-Jan-13 13:50:20

I have posted here before quite a while ago now but forgot my username and password details so have a new user name now. I use people per hour, it took 2 years of bidding before I won something!! But since then I have had a couple of people contact me 'directly' and I have secured some work this way with one person becoming a regular client. It is worth using if you have the patience to finally win some work!

Thanks for the replies.

Francesca I see what you mean about the pay - found someone wanting a logo designed for £10 which seems daft.

Virtual - I suppose it comes down to networking/making contacts in the end, and this is just another avenue to use... I take it by your username you are a virtual PA?

VirtualAssistant2011 Thu 24-Jan-13 14:16:04

Yes I guess it is just another way to make contacts really. Yes I am a Virtual PA so was bidding for the administrative work on there, what field are you in?

Depends on the field I think - I registered (as a freelancer) & get alerts to relevant projects. Have bid on a couple but mostly they are looking for very low rates, so not worth my while.

Pre children I worked in PR/marketing in charity sector. Have been SAHM for past 4 years and also applying for PAYE jobs, but no joy so far (and suitable jobs few and far between).

Most recent paid experience has been writing funding applications for a community organisation I started out as a volunteer with.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 24-Jan-13 20:31:46

I have done both.

Here is my advice on an old thread posted under an old user name -

I have won a few jobs, but I only now bid for things I feel I have a good chance of winning. I have bought a lot of services on it; SEO, VA support, presentation production & PR mentoring.

I would echo what VirtualAssistant says about having a presence on there. I am now an Associate of an org we connected on there.

I used to do marketing in the charity sector. It might be worth contacting charities similar to your old employer to see if they need freelance help? I am guessing lots of them will be up for the flexiblity of a freelancer?

Good luck.

Thanks Margo - that's a really useful thread link.

I think I have just have to take the plunge and get on with it!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 25-Jan-13 10:32:10

No worries.

Give it a go, will be interesting to see where it takes you!

Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now