Where can I get support for designing my blog?

(12 Posts)
tinselahohoho Wed 23-Jan-13 19:43:48

Thank you both very much! Don't want to say what my 'thing' is in case it seems like advertising, which isn't what I'm trying to do at all!

DolomitesDonkey Wed 23-Jan-13 18:50:09

tinsel more than possible, take a look over at themeforest and see what you can find - lots and lots of "storefront" style themes - or if it's not actual products, a "magazine" style?

icepole Wed 23-Jan-13 18:26:12

I have sent a pm. You might actually like the theme I have - you have pictures and when you click you get to the post. I will pm you a link so you can see what I mean.

tinselahohoho Wed 23-Jan-13 18:13:17

The 'product' thing is maybe confusing in my post - I don't make clothes or jewellery or anything, but I need to have images of the things I do that can then be clicked on. When they are clicked on, that, hopefully, will open up a new page with details about that specific thing.

Not sure that makes any more sense actually . . . confused

tinselahohoho Wed 23-Jan-13 18:11:43

I'm interested in this as I'm just about to leave my old website which looks very dated and cluttered - free ones have moved on so much since I set that up, but does anyone have any view on which is best/easiest? I need something clean, easy for me to do, and - ideally - where I can put my 'products' (they're not really products as such, but things I do which need to have links to) that can be clicked on.

Thank you!

DolomitesDonkey Wed 23-Jan-13 18:06:49

OK, I took a quick look at the elegant themes website and although I can't see all the help files I did see this www.elegantthemes.com/features/shortcodes.html which shows top left "buttons" which you can adapt so people can click on one and be sent to Mailchimp. It also has shortcodes for your social links.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 23-Jan-13 16:32:17

If you pm me the link to your site and the theme you bought I'll tell you how to get social icons.

icepole Wed 23-Jan-13 15:20:41

I was having problems getting my pictures to look right, i have managed to sort it by only using square ones.

I am using mailchimp yes, i used their plug in to add the form and it can be changed. I managed some changes but it still looks crappy. I am not sure where I would find the clicky button that you mention.

There aren't social media buttons on the site no, I wanted to have ones that linked to my facebook and twitter account but no clue how to add them.

I wish I had gone for a different theme in a way, with woo themes as they seem to be easy to change but I am stuck with this one now. I think it could be nice if I wasn't such a dunce!

DolomitesDonkey Wed 23-Jan-13 13:04:27

Right, I'm guessing when you say you want support and they're saying "use photoshop" that you bought a nice theme - maybe with a picture and something "funky" scrawled across it? Or maybe a header banner which looks great but says something like "Every Little Helps" for example? grin

No worries, you can come back to that in a month. You don't need photoshop, you can use GIMP which is a freeware and if you pop over to HubSpot blog you'll find some awesome links there showing you how to do the basic stuff - i.e., how to change the text/colour and make it yours. Doesn't matter, you can do it in a month.

As for the social icons, presumably these were present on the theme you bought? So you need to go through each of the menu items on your Dashboard, starting with Appearance/Design settings, or just Settings. It should be a simple case of plugging in your twitter/facebook user names and away you go.

As for a sign-up box, which mail list program are you using? If it's Aweber or Mailchimp then yes, they'll provide you with some basic code but it's very much form over function and until or unless you're wanting to start playing around with css scripts then you're probably better off making a nice "clicky button" (I bet your theme has this function!) and sending them to the sign-up page that Aweber/Mailchimp has given you which is very customisable (is that even a word? wink) and will remove your headache toot sweet.

Don't try and do it all at once, as girlbehind says, just make a list and cross one thing off at a time.

BIG TIP:- Before you start fiddling with and pushing buttons like a 2 year old wink, go to Tools/Export and export "all" to your computer. This means that if something gets fucked up, then you can restore.

I hope some of this makes sense, please let me know how you get on.

icepole Wed 23-Jan-13 10:21:36

Not tried the forum, will check it out thanks. I have installed some plug ins but find modification hard so for example I added a sign up for a news letter but it looks horrid! I keep trying to make it look better but no joy. I don't really have a designer brain either so am often not sure how to make things look better.

Have you been blogging long? I am really new to it.

girlbehind Wed 23-Jan-13 08:20:08

There's a good forum on WordPress.org - I've found that really helpful. I think that signup boxes and icons need separate plugins; I tend to just search for those from the wp dashboard and pick one with plenty of good, recent reviews.

I don't have Photoshop either. I do have paintshop (similar) but agree it's frustrating that the world expects us to have Photoshop. I find that most things can be done with either irfanview or picmonkey, which are both free.

Although a lot of WordPress is really simple, there are lots of quite small things that I've found really challenging. I found that I got into knots trying to learn everything at once, so started up a fix list of things I wanted to do and then just worked through each one methodically.

icepole Wed 23-Jan-13 08:05:37

I am trying to set up a little on line business and have so far managed to get a blog up and running. I made the mistake of buying a theme from elegant themes as they offered tech support but their support consists of suggesting I do things in photo shop which I don't have or just posting things that I don't understand at all. Anyway I am stuck with in now but having major problems getting it to look half decent. Any suggestions for an idiots guide to simple things like getting social media buttons on or making a sign up box look half decent? I am really struggling and I want the site to look as professional as possible but I can't afford a designer at this stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now