Should I consider this?

(5 Posts)
FriendlyLadybird Fri 18-Jan-13 10:22:13

Brief synopsis (sorry)
- Worked successfully as a freelance consultant between 2001 and 2008
- Come November 2008 business all but disappeared
- Started doing temporary/interim roles but they weren't awfully well paid. Kept our heads above water but only just. Supplemented by freelance work, but didn't push too hard to get more of that as time was a factor.
- Was offered a permanent job by a client; took it -- but was later made redundant
- Started up again as self-employed, but it's slow
- Another interim role has come up for which I'm eminently qualified -- but it doesn't pay quite enough and they are saying at this stage they want a full time person

I've got a little time to think about it. I should probably go for it, shouldn't I? It's more money than no money and I would just have to discipline myself to keep building up my business around it.

If I got the job and started getting enough other work, I could always just resign, I suppose. Or I could start the application process, see if they like me -- and at that point push for a four-day week?

What do you think?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:10

What do you want to do? It feels like you are thinking about what you ought to do? You "sound" a bit fed up....

Do you feel that the market for your services is still depressed? If so, then a contract (albeit full time) might take the pressure off and give you a bit of a break from the business development whilst you think about what you want to do? When you say it isn't enough, do you mean to live on, or it doesn't reflect your worth? (which is a vaild point)

It depends how badly you want your consulting business to continue/develop? Signing up for a full time role and hoping to still freelance means weekend/evening working which is a difficult juggle, I have tried it!

Could working full-time give you some income (although maybe not based on what you have said) to save to put towards business development/a marketing push, if that has been part of the issue (it might not have been) and aim to have a fresh start once the interim contract finishes.

I guess either way you have nothing to loose by applying and then deciding (sorry for the fence sitting!) if you get an interview/offered the role?

Not sure if this helps!

FriendlyLadybird Fri 18-Jan-13 14:33:47

I'm not quite as fed up as I sound, I don't think.

It's not enough to live on -- and certainly doesn't reflect my worth -- and I do have some other work in the pipeline, which I would definitely want to do.

I think, as you suggest, I should apply, and then see what happens -- make decisions later. My main problem is that I'm quite responsible, so if I sign up for 12 months, I would feel bound to do those 12 months. But, actually, I don't have to.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 18-Jan-13 14:46:18

Sorry I realised after that might have sounded like a criticism, but it wasn't meant to be.

I know where you are coming from (I have been told by clients I overdeliver - which comes from my sense of loyalty, responsiblity etc) it could be difficult leaving before the end of the contract as you feel you have committed to it, but I guess you need to adopt a different mindset. Which is much easier said than done!

If some well paid/interesting freelancing stuff comes along you need to put yourself first. That is the chance the employer takes by offering a contract rolee.

Could this role be a way to develop new contacts/experience for your CV? Try to see all the positives that this role could bring you, whilst keeping an eye fixed on the long term of getting back to better paid consulting.

Good luck, do post an update.

FriendlyLadybird Fri 18-Jan-13 21:17:09

Thanks Margo -- very positive and very sane! Now I come to think of it, I have in the past got some consultancy work through interim contracts (as well as a permanent job) so it is worth pursuing. I'm definitely an overdeliverer, but that's why they came back to me, and paid me my consultancy rate ...

Feelin' good -- and I will definitely update!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now