Exam invigilation

(12 Posts)
SwedishEdith Tue 15-Jan-13 22:22:52

I've done it (not in a school). You may need to project your voice and issue instructions quite clearly and confidently. Take a some sweets or water as you will have the urge to cough as soon as the exam starts.

boschy Tue 15-Jan-13 22:14:55

thank you thank you! cant tell you what a morass I have been in trying to find info!

muckleflugga Tue 15-Jan-13 20:02:55

The exam boards issue instructions for conducting exams. You should be able to find one of the booklets online. They are very comprehensive but have a section on invigilating which should give you a good idea of whats involved.

MrsJimmyChoo Tue 15-Jan-13 13:17:42

If you are a school gov then you should hype that for all its worth- your best card!

boschy Tue 15-Jan-13 13:03:15

thanks mrsj that' very helpful. Am CRB checked anyway as a school gov, tho I guess another organisation would need to do it again. I will put together a little CV specially for this and see what happens...

MrsJimmyChoo Tue 15-Jan-13 12:49:22

Well you need to be reliable and punctual and maybe they will do a CRB check as you are in school. You also need a certain amount of bossiness to make them sit down and be quiet. You could be in charge of other invigilators - working out who goes where- so some leadership experience might be good.
You need to be very organised as you have to collect the papers and take to the office .

boschy Tue 15-Jan-13 12:17:06

that's the thing, I could fit it around my freelance stuff. have no teaching experience, do you think that matters? (am actually a PR person/translator!) what are the qualities they would look for in a good invigilator?

I've googled, but can only find things like "wear soft shoes" and "remain alert" both of which seem quite possible... but when you go on to the recruitment websites, like capitas, they dont actually seem to have an invigilator section despite saying they do in their google heading.

MrsJimmyChoo Tue 15-Jan-13 10:41:40

I have a friend who does this. She is a qualified teacher and applied for the job when it was advertised in her local paper. She is now a snr invigilator which means she has more responsibility.

She gets work in January, May- June, and November.

The pay is not great but it fits with other things she does.

MirandaWest Mon 14-Jan-13 14:25:37

If you have a nearby university try them as well as the exams are generally longer (and so you get paid more plus it is a slightly higher hourly rate at the university here than the schools).

boschy Mon 14-Jan-13 12:23:01

I can imagine it is not very scintillating, but I could do with making some more dosh on an ad-hoc basis (I've already got other freelance work).
thanks for that - I will just contact the schools.

MirandaWest Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:06

I do it (been doing it this morning smile)

I got in touch with all the local secondary schools and two took me on. One just let me walk in and the other interviewed me. I have had training sessions but was invigilating before the training. I also do it at a local university.

Pay isn't great (unless you do a senior role at the university) and it is Very Boring (just have to stand or sit there)but it is an ok way to make money. Main time of year is May and June. I can generally only do morning sessions as the amount id pay in after school childcare would wipe it out but if you can do all day you obviously get more.

boschy Mon 14-Jan-13 11:29:07

anyone done this? it occurs to me that it is something I could do, but am getting conflicting reports of how to go about it, whether you need training or not.

googling is not getting me far.... I'd be grateful for any ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now