Do I actually need a business bank account?

(5 Posts)
WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Fri 21-Dec-12 16:18:27

Im a self-employed Freelance copywriter. I invoice most of my clients monthy and they BACS the amount into a personal account. The only real expenses I have coming off is my mobile phone and the odd bit of stationery, postage - the the other business expenses are things like heat and light which come off the household joint account.

I pay an amount every month into the household account as 'wages' and I also have a personal savings account where I pop a bit of tax money every month so I don't spend it

I don't pay for either account and haven't seen the need for a business account which I would have to pay for - am I missing something?

MrAnchovy Fri 21-Dec-12 19:39:54

No.

No. I work under my own name and payments are bacs to my personal account. When I checked with the bank they said as far as they are concerned I am an individual having my wages paid to my account.

I a mwith the nationwide though and they don't do business bank accounts. Other banks may not agree, mainly cause they charge for every transaction in a business bank account.

CaptainNancy Fri 21-Dec-12 19:54:30

As long as you freelance for more than one company, you should be okay.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 22-Dec-12 21:27:43

No. Although I may take advantage of the free business account I can have as I am a member of the Federation of Small Business with Co-op. I can't seem to make up my mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now