Why does all the rubbish happen at once?

(4 Posts)
TheFarSide Thu 20-Dec-12 20:41:17

Yes, there are many positives to self-employment but also some major downsides. Hopefully things will be quiet for you in terms of Xmas call outs.

I had a minor meltdown last week when one of my invoices wasn't paid on time - money I was relying on - and I suddenly felt very vulnerable. Luckily the money came through a couple of days later but it did have me questioning whether I'm cut out for self-employment.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 20-Dec-12 20:15:05

I'm a vet with multiple surgeries and several staff.

carocaro Thu 20-Dec-12 16:19:34

Sounds crazy! What do you do? Sounds cliched, but at least it's good to have work and a job!

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 20-Dec-12 10:56:54

So it's the week before christmas have 2 members of staff off all week and one of today. Not unusual as they work in different departments.
I have now got a vomiting virus running through my staff and a key member of staff has had a very close family bereavement.
Today due to illness and bereavement I am left in the very unusual position of only one out of my three department managers in work!
As a lone parent as well as a self employed business owner I have no one else to moan to.
As this is a clinical business that legally has to offer 24 hour emergency cover I will have been on call for a total of 159 hours by 8am Saturday yes really I will have had 9 hours off since 8am Saturday last week!!! Chances of locum zero!
I guess I just keep getting up each morning. This really is the downside of being your own boss when all hell break lose it all ends up on you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now