Why does all the rubbish happen at once?

(4 Posts)
Lonecatwithkitten Thu 20-Dec-12 10:56:54

So it's the week before christmas have 2 members of staff off all week and one of today. Not unusual as they work in different departments.
I have now got a vomiting virus running through my staff and a key member of staff has had a very close family bereavement.
Today due to illness and bereavement I am left in the very unusual position of only one out of my three department managers in work!
As a lone parent as well as a self employed business owner I have no one else to moan to.
As this is a clinical business that legally has to offer 24 hour emergency cover I will have been on call for a total of 159 hours by 8am Saturday yes really I will have had 9 hours off since 8am Saturday last week!!! Chances of locum zero!
I guess I just keep getting up each morning. This really is the downside of being your own boss when all hell break lose it all ends up on you.

carocaro Thu 20-Dec-12 16:19:34

Sounds crazy! What do you do? Sounds cliched, but at least it's good to have work and a job!

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 20-Dec-12 20:15:05

I'm a vet with multiple surgeries and several staff.

TheFarSide Thu 20-Dec-12 20:41:17

Yes, there are many positives to self-employment but also some major downsides. Hopefully things will be quiet for you in terms of Xmas call outs.

I had a minor meltdown last week when one of my invoices wasn't paid on time - money I was relying on - and I suddenly felt very vulnerable. Luckily the money came through a couple of days later but it did have me questioning whether I'm cut out for self-employment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now