Hello,I'm feeling a bit despondent about my low sales on my new website and would very much appreciate some feed back, mainly about my photos.

(60 Posts)
blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:38:14

I find it hard to get the photos right, especially the lighting and it's very time consuming which I don't mind but I just can't seem to create that processional look and they always seem too dark. I'm not trying to advertise on here, I just want an unbiased opinion. I would post this in chat but I'm not sure I'm allowed to (am I).

Thank you.

LineRunner Sun 30-Dec-12 00:53:32

Actually that would be a good idea - to divide your shop into 2 sections: Finished products; and For craft use.

And then subsections when you get going, such as Cards.

And definitely make sure your opening words of the description for each item are clear and searchable, like Novascotia says. 'Handcrafted original fabric cushion, handmade in UK, beautiful colours and design.' That kind of thing.

steppemum Sun 30-Dec-12 00:48:33

Hi had a quick look, and agree with the others that i can't tell what things are from the pictures or the desciption, it takes too much effort to find what it is

very pretty stuff. as a crafter, I am not sure whether some of them are finished or for craft use (eg fabric shapes) I think craft items need to be priced differently to finished items.

Hope you get more sales in new year

BiscuitNibbler Sun 30-Dec-12 00:48:20

I think your cards and knitted teddies are lovely, but you are let down by the bunting and the collage.

You clearly have talent but I think it would be better to concentrate on those things you are very good at, and leave the rest, as it makes your shop look amateurish.

LineRunner Sun 30-Dec-12 00:45:14

Hi, OP, I started selling on eBay this year (with advice from MNers!) and I was amazed at how reasonable couriers are. I sent a fairly heavy item from the NE to the SW for just over a fiver.

I think it would help if you were more specific about delivery charges (e.g. for the sweet blue-painted shelves with bunting). I wouldn't pay £20 to have them delivered - but I'd like them! smile

trixymalixy Sun 30-Dec-12 00:36:50

Agree with bruffin, and the bunting would probably sell better if the shapes weren't so random, I'd stick to traditional triangles.

EdnaScoggins Sun 30-Dec-12 00:25:14

Aw, it's all lovely. I like your stuff. smile

bruffin Sun 30-Dec-12 00:19:26

The products look poorly made ie seams not ironed, uneven seams etc

Novascotia33 Sun 30-Dec-12 00:10:19

just looked again at your shop. For instance, your product descriptions need to begin with search terms to get picked up by google, and those searching on etsy, I think it's the first 5 words that matter the most, and your first 5 words are: "I've carefully put together the"

What would be more effective would be an accurate basic description in the fist 5 words, so you could say 'fabric bunting, handmade in the UK' there are 4 words that people will use as search terms (you might think) if they were looking on etsy or google for bunting. In the next sentence you can start your 'I've made bit'.

Hope that makes sense.

Novascotia33 Sun 30-Dec-12 00:03:12

Hi there, well done for getting started with your shop.

I think your prices are totally fine, you cannot compete with hobbycraft where everything is made in china, people who buy this sort of thing are not looking for bargain basement but rather style and quality.

Are you using all 14 of you tags? Are you using Etys SearchAds? Are you optimizing your listings for SEO both title and the beginning of the product description?

I agree with above posters totally, you need to photograph the product on a white background. There's been a ton of research done on this, go on any major site and (john lewis/ NOTHS / etc.) you'll see everything on a white background, there's a reason.

Also, agree with whoever said use natural light, don't use the flash, go outside on a grey day so light is diffused (god knows we have enough grey days in this country)

I've had an Etsy shop for about 3 years, plus own website etc. i'm not an expert but do make a living.

best wishes, stay positive, it's all a learning curve.

blueish Wed 26-Dec-12 20:37:59

Just seen that there are more posts on here ! Thanks very much, all helpful and constructive. I shall set about changing things in the next few days. Thanks for bothering to reply.

I think you don't need descriptions like "a lovely" or "a pretty" or "good quality", it's what you get on ebay but not really on etsy, not very classy.

Other than that just seems a bit expensive. I really like your cards and the craft packs, but I think the craft packs should be about half the price...

Wickaninnish Sat 22-Dec-12 19:43:17

My input is that I think you need to sharpen up your images & descriptions

If marketing on line you have only seconds to grab a buyers attention before they hit the next button.

The background should be clean. It can be coloured but ensure that the background does not detract from the item you are selling.

Make sure the initial description is clear and concise. Remember that initially most buyers will only browse descriptions. It is only when the description and pictures convince them that they are looking at something that interests them, that they will read more about it.

I also think that your pricing is quite high!

There is a really good book written by the ladies who started up 'Not on the High Street'. Masses of useful information to support your business.

I only had a quick look, and as others have said you can't tell what it is your selling without clicking on all the individual products.

Also, I cannot read that word 'vintage' that many times in a minute or so without starting to get sick of seeing it. As the shop is Gorgeous Vintage, could you not just have a description at the top stating that everything is <shudder> vintage and then leave it off the individual products?

your backgrounds are too busy and your descriptions too wordy. The lighting is fine but on the home page where you have lots of pictures you need to make the description under each photo be very short so you don't have to click on the photo to find out what it is.

I don't buy this sort of thing so have no idea what the price should be.

HTH

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 20-Dec-12 16:04:37

It's not clear what you are selling and how are people going to find you

You need to put lots of words in your descriptions so that when someone googles that type of item they come to you

If I was looking for vintage cushions I'd out it into google and come up with https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vintage+cushions&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

nickelbabylyinginamanger Thu 20-Dec-12 16:03:04

I agree with Nancy about the bunting, sorry.

the other stuff looks very pretty.

definitely agree that you should photograph stuff against a plain background. the heart with the green wooden background is so much easier to look at than the one against the garden.

and if you get a photo editting suite like photoshop Elements (cheap enough for this sort of thing), or a freebie like photoscape ans adjust the lighting.

do it in natural light rather than inside, but as Fossil says, not in bright sunshine.

that cushion is gorgeous, but needs to be ironed.
this one is a prime example of the photography. get it on a plain piece of white card and outside in the garden for its photographs

SantasComingEarlyHisSackIsFull Thu 20-Dec-12 15:56:39

Just wanted to say, I like the cards, they are are pretty and a good price; maybe highlight those in some way as a "hook".

lynniep Thu 20-Dec-12 15:51:25

also its 'variety' not verity smile

Nancy66 Thu 20-Dec-12 15:43:27

lose the bunting it looks very amateur and badly made and will reflect on your other products.

givemeaclue Thu 20-Dec-12 10:57:01

Hi, some very pretty things but not really clear what you are selling, mixture of vintage sheets, craft bits etc. You need a clearer message about what you are selling I would perhaps change name to reflect the goods as well.

In the descriptions avoid "I" eg "I made this, I bought this" etc just describe the products.

Good luck

WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Thu 20-Dec-12 10:40:52

It's not the pics that are the problem, it's your descriptions. I've been on your page for 1 minute (the most I ever allow for a 'first look' if someone wants feedback) and I don't really know what you sell. So no motivation to click into the pics, as I don't know if I want to buy your products. You need to focus on your description at the top - Gorgeous Vintage doesn't really tell me anything iyswim?

blueish Tue 18-Dec-12 17:07:09

Well all this advice has been invaluable, thank you all so much. Lots of food for thought and lots to do over the holidays. fossil97 did you do all that knitting ? That's amazing ! MargotLeadbetter (used to love that) I do have all the social media to drive traffic to my shop, just haven't felt much like doing it as I wasn't happy with the pics. Still, I've only been on Etsy for a few weeks so it's all new to me.

Thanks again every one & Happy Christmas xxx

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 17-Dec-12 23:00:00

Lots of helpful feedback on here. I'd agree with what others have said, clearer titles, descriptions and improve your pictures.

Are you looking at your stats? Are people viewing and not buying or not viewing?

Definately spend some time (if you haven't already) searching the competiton on Etsy as that what is your potential customers are doing. Thinking about what your different audiences might search, so crafters, scrapbookers, parents etc.

Successful Etsy sellers I know use it as it is a cheap and easy online shop, however they all have other sites and social media to drive traffic to their shops. I appreciate that might not be feasible for you now, but worth keeping that in mind.

Well done for being willing to ask for feedback, not everyone is as brave! Hope that 2013 brings you better sales.

fossil97 Mon 17-Dec-12 22:59:51

You need to set your camera to measure the exposure from the item only and then the background should not go too grey (spot or centre metering). Or you can lighten it up in the photo software. Does the Lumix come with the ViewNX software, I have that from my Nikon? It is not very intuitive to use but you can do basic lightening up etc with it, possibly you could find a tutorial? If you have a PC you might have Microsoft Picture Manager (IIRC) or on a Mac IPhoto will handle basic adjustments, cropping etc.

That is a good link of MrsMerry <bookmarks it>

(I ended up buying a cheap book on digital photography because I was struggling to understand the features of the camera)

If you are doing a "lifestyle" picture - the background must not compete too much but must be poncy aspirational - a shabby chic shelf like your pretty blue one, or a scrubbed pine table. Have a look at Country Living magazine or something - that's your target market grin.

It doesn't matter too much if the background is a little grey as long as the colours and details of the item pop out.

this is one of mine, taken outdoors in front of my big white bit of cardboard (you can see the torn corner!) Shade better than sunshine... then I adjusted the colours a bit with the editing program. Quite often a tweak to brightness, contrast and colour saturation makes a world of difference.

blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 20:17:37

Thank you Tee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now