Hello,I'm feeling a bit despondent about my low sales on my new website and would very much appreciate some feed back, mainly about my photos.

(60 Posts)
blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:38:14

I find it hard to get the photos right, especially the lighting and it's very time consuming which I don't mind but I just can't seem to create that processional look and they always seem too dark. I'm not trying to advertise on here, I just want an unbiased opinion. I would post this in chat but I'm not sure I'm allowed to (am I).

Thank you.

blueish Wed 26-Dec-12 20:37:59

Just seen that there are more posts on here ! Thanks very much, all helpful and constructive. I shall set about changing things in the next few days. Thanks for bothering to reply.

Novascotia33 Sun 30-Dec-12 00:03:12

Hi there, well done for getting started with your shop.

I think your prices are totally fine, you cannot compete with hobbycraft where everything is made in china, people who buy this sort of thing are not looking for bargain basement but rather style and quality.

Are you using all 14 of you tags? Are you using Etys SearchAds? Are you optimizing your listings for SEO both title and the beginning of the product description?

I agree with above posters totally, you need to photograph the product on a white background. There's been a ton of research done on this, go on any major site and (john lewis/ NOTHS / etc.) you'll see everything on a white background, there's a reason.

Also, agree with whoever said use natural light, don't use the flash, go outside on a grey day so light is diffused (god knows we have enough grey days in this country)

I've had an Etsy shop for about 3 years, plus own website etc. i'm not an expert but do make a living.

best wishes, stay positive, it's all a learning curve.

Novascotia33 Sun 30-Dec-12 00:10:19

just looked again at your shop. For instance, your product descriptions need to begin with search terms to get picked up by google, and those searching on etsy, I think it's the first 5 words that matter the most, and your first 5 words are: "I've carefully put together the"

What would be more effective would be an accurate basic description in the fist 5 words, so you could say 'fabric bunting, handmade in the UK' there are 4 words that people will use as search terms (you might think) if they were looking on etsy or google for bunting. In the next sentence you can start your 'I've made bit'.

Hope that makes sense.

bruffin Sun 30-Dec-12 00:19:26

The products look poorly made ie seams not ironed, uneven seams etc

EdnaScoggins Sun 30-Dec-12 00:25:14

Aw, it's all lovely. I like your stuff. smile

trixymalixy Sun 30-Dec-12 00:36:50

Agree with bruffin, and the bunting would probably sell better if the shapes weren't so random, I'd stick to traditional triangles.

LineRunner Sun 30-Dec-12 00:45:14

Hi, OP, I started selling on eBay this year (with advice from MNers!) and I was amazed at how reasonable couriers are. I sent a fairly heavy item from the NE to the SW for just over a fiver.

I think it would help if you were more specific about delivery charges (e.g. for the sweet blue-painted shelves with bunting). I wouldn't pay £20 to have them delivered - but I'd like them! smile

BiscuitNibbler Sun 30-Dec-12 00:48:20

I think your cards and knitted teddies are lovely, but you are let down by the bunting and the collage.

You clearly have talent but I think it would be better to concentrate on those things you are very good at, and leave the rest, as it makes your shop look amateurish.

steppemum Sun 30-Dec-12 00:48:33

Hi had a quick look, and agree with the others that i can't tell what things are from the pictures or the desciption, it takes too much effort to find what it is

very pretty stuff. as a crafter, I am not sure whether some of them are finished or for craft use (eg fabric shapes) I think craft items need to be priced differently to finished items.

Hope you get more sales in new year

LineRunner Sun 30-Dec-12 00:53:32

Actually that would be a good idea - to divide your shop into 2 sections: Finished products; and For craft use.

And then subsections when you get going, such as Cards.

And definitely make sure your opening words of the description for each item are clear and searchable, like Novascotia says. 'Handcrafted original fabric cushion, handmade in UK, beautiful colours and design.' That kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now