Hello,I'm feeling a bit despondent about my low sales on my new website and would very much appreciate some feed back, mainly about my photos.

(60 Posts)
blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:38:14

I find it hard to get the photos right, especially the lighting and it's very time consuming which I don't mind but I just can't seem to create that processional look and they always seem too dark. I'm not trying to advertise on here, I just want an unbiased opinion. I would post this in chat but I'm not sure I'm allowed to (am I).

Thank you.

blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:39:46

I forgot to link ............. http://www.etsy.com/shop/NickyGrace

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 18:39:47

No, you aren't.

You also need to give us a link.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 18:40:46

Okay, that's not a blog. I would report this thread to HQ and ask them to move this to freelance or small business.

BOFingSanta Mon 17-Dec-12 18:41:32
blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:42:02

Really ?? ok I will. Thanks anyway.

BOFingSanta Mon 17-Dec-12 18:42:17

Isn't it? Oh, ok, I didn't look.

blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:44:17

Right I've reported it. Seems a bit extreme to have to do that though.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Mon 17-Dec-12 18:44:47

Well, I didn't look either, but it's an Etsy URL, which isn't s blog but a shop.

nailak Mon 17-Dec-12 18:46:30

there might be another reason you are not getting orders

blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:46:41

I've seen lots and lots of shops on here with people asking for advise/opinions.

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Dec-12 18:47:00

Hello
We have moved this to our freelancers topic
Thanks

BOFingSanta Mon 17-Dec-12 18:47:17

The photos look alright to me. There's a recession on, is all.

blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 18:49:19

Thanks BOF, yes I know and lots of competition.

ginmakesitallok Mon 17-Dec-12 18:52:04

It took me a while to work out what it was you were actually selling....

beckyboo232 Mon 17-Dec-12 18:52:07

Hi just had a quick look, love your site and think the pictures are very good, bright and every thing looks good quality. This is the sort of thing I would buy but the prices put me off tbh. I just can't afford that much right now. I have bought similar stuff for less. Have you thought about a fb page? A friend has a page there selling similar bits and does very well.

Brawhen Mon 17-Dec-12 18:52:27

I think the photos are ok. The stuff you are selling has very summery colours - you might do better with something more seasonal looking. I also didn't understand from the photos what some of the things are - they looked like craft kits but the description seems to imply a finished product. Maybe you could title the photos or take a photo of the finished product in use?

(I am on phone on mobile app)

SledsImOn Mon 17-Dec-12 18:53:33

I don't mind commenting as it's not the sort of stuff I'd buy anyway so I'm immune to any hint of advertising smile

Yes, the pictures are quite dark - but as it's Etsy, not a proper shop website, that doesn't matter - you can get a good idea of what the things are like anyway.

I'm not a photographer but I think natural light might be your friend here - or just some very bright background lighting, to give a better idea of the colours.

also iron your French embroidery!!! smile

Apart from that I don't know what to suggest really.

chocolatecheesecake Mon 17-Dec-12 18:53:34

It might be that the items aren't photographed on a plain background. E.g. The lavender hearts are on a patchwork background and it makes it hard to focus on the hearts. Also might be more complex things around search terms etc but surely etsy will have tips about that?

CharlieBlanche Mon 17-Dec-12 18:59:02

Your photos are very pretty but my that's a lot of pink. I would suggest putting a few more primary colours into the mix for contrast a a wee bit more 'edge'.

I also agree that it's hard to tell what some things are.

Good luck with your business.

soapnuts Mon 17-Dec-12 19:00:07

change the descriptions so they show what you're selling at a glance - I'd have to have clicked on each item to see what they actually are - so start with fabric shapes - pretty vintage.... blah blah - you need to make it really easy for the buyer!

neolara Mon 17-Dec-12 19:03:46

I also think it's not immediately obvious what you are selling because only the first few words of the description are shown. A buyer then has to click on the picture to find out what it is that you are actually selling. It may be better to put the label of the item first e.g. instead of "French hand embroidered vintage child's top sheet with birds and flowers" put "Child's top sheet: French hand embroidered vintage child's top sheet with birds and flowers". Or maybe you could have a section on "fabric for craft" and click through to all the different option. I also think it would be better if items were photographed on a plain background. I think your stuff is lovely.

thixotropic Mon 17-Dec-12 19:04:44

I'm uniquely qualified to comment,because I know sod all ;)

Buy from a non - crafting layman's viewpoint. Agree with poster above, you can't tell what things are.

You might need to separate finished products from the kits, in two sections or something if that's possible on etsy.

More descriptive title for the items?

Lighting is ok, except for the cot blanket at the top. Can you take pictures outdoors? Yy to plain background too.

And deffo missing a trick for seasonal content. That stuff is gorgeous, but very spring/ summer.

Hth

blueish Mon 17-Dec-12 19:05:08

This is all very very helpful thank you and I'll absolutely take all your advice. When I started making things years ago there was no internet so I've had to learn from scratch. Over Christmas I shall spend time amending it all and changing the titles. Thanks for your honesty everyone.

Doinmummy Mon 17-Dec-12 19:07:53

Honest honest honest opinion, I can't see clearly what some of the things are, prices are quite high( £45 cushion ) the bunting looks glued on and quite expensive. Maybe put descriptions on pics .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now