Professional Organiser/Declutterer/Concierge Service?

(4 Posts)
hereincornwall Wed 05-Dec-12 14:24:07

I posted this on the housekeeping thread, but actually I'd appreciate replies from all you freelances/self-employed people out there. Or anything who has already done something similar? Thanks.

Hello,

I am thinking about setting up a professional organiser/declutterer business. Is there anyone who does something similar? I thinking of branching out into going into businesses who need help with organisation, perhaps filing, backlogs, office moves etc. Then down here in Cornwall there's a large market of holiday rentals and second homes, so was thinking I could offer a concierge type service for these too (like sorting out the bills, cleaning the house before they stay for the weekend, organising a gardener whatever).

Is there any mileage?
I can think of lots of other ways to branch out too.... like helping new mums find a routine, meal plan, ways to organise their family or helping people find the best gas supplier.... or what pushchair fits with their lifestyle.

What do you all think?
Thank you :-)

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 06-Dec-12 12:42:03

Hi

There is a poster (or there was, she may have name changed) called helenagrace who is a declutter. I think she might also run some other businesses. She gave some very useful advice on a thread about how to get organised about a year ago. I know, as from that thread I purchased a family diary thing.

I know of www.apdo-uk.co.uk/ the membership body for the trade as I talked to them once about doing something for them. They do an annual conference etc. Plus have a directory, so you could check out the local competitor

I get the sense that most declutters do it as a sideline/supplement with other businesses. But as you say there are lots of related sidelines/branches of your service you could offer.

I think there is a market, but like with any business the key is finding the potential clients who are willing to spend money on such a service. I guess you need to break it down into potential markets:

- older people with lots of clutter built up (could reach them through middle class networks like the WI or U3A)
- commuters who live in Cornwall at the weekend/holidays who need local help - I wonder if you could reach them through glossy local mags they might try to get really connected to Cornwall when they are there
- mums - NCT, others providing baby related services (eg hypno classes, baby massage, buggy fit etc)

It is a bit of a clique equating having money to spending on this sort of service, but I think realistically you need some sort of level of money to spend on such a thing. You could think about making your services more affordable with online coaching or webinars etc. I think "being organised" is something that people would pay to learn, like other skills.

Not sure if that is any help!

Good luck.

FriendlyLadybird Thu 06-Dec-12 19:06:10

A friend of mine and her sister-in-law set up a business like this some years ago. It's not that easy. It's still going (actually, the sister-in-law dropped out and I'm a director now) though in truth it's more of a 'care' and 'companionship' business for elderly ladies now. So there's a market of sorts, but it's by no means the money-spinner they had at first hoped!

hereincornwall Thu 06-Dec-12 20:18:25

Thanks for taking the time to reply both of you. Food for thought, certainly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now