Problems with partnership, should I walk away?

(5 Posts)
GorBlimeyGuvner Wed 28-Nov-12 22:03:55

I started a partnership about 2 months ago with someone who has some very enviable business skills which I lack although I had not known this person very long.

I'd had the idea floating around for about a year and this person said "let's do it".

We didn't put down any legal framework, nor have we registered a Ltd Company or anything like that. For now it exists purely in terms of concept - and an enormous amount of work I've put in on the website and building content.

Unfortunately it is coming to light that he seems to be suffering mental health problems (I know what I'm talking about here, it's not a slur upon his character but a statement of fact) and is proving unreliable in terms of refuses to respond to attempts to contact him to discuss the business.

In addition he's kind of "bossing me around" which is not what I started my own business to do, I feel is not contributing anything except issuing orders to me and although I think this idea is brilliant - frankly I'm scared to do it with him. He wants to move it away from my vision to what is clearly his and there is little room for negotiation. When I've tried to argue back he's gone cold and blanked me for 72 hours each time and then ignored my point!

He's also a bit of a liability in that I couldn't introduce him to important clients as he has no social grace.

Should I walk away? Download my website, re-use/re-word the content I've built and move it forward in a way that I am comfortable with?

Please help freelance pros. I am worried that this person is going to bad-mouth me and he has a lot of contacts, but then maybe they know that he's unreliable and difficult too. confused

I realise I've probably answered my own question here - but does anyone have any advice on what I should say and might there be any repurcussions?

GorBlimeyGuvner Wed 28-Nov-12 22:05:21

Just to add, it's a portfolio of services rather than a physical product - so there would be no wrangling over that!

TalkinPeace2 Wed 28-Nov-12 22:06:52

So you are registered as self employed,
so is he,
you have not registered the partnership with HMRC

and the person you work with you want to walk away from
and become a sole trader
harsh but rather neat if you look at it that way....

the website is yours, wind down the bit that needs his skills, build up the bits that are yours and move on

GorBlimeyGuvner Wed 28-Nov-12 22:10:37

The website is registered in his name, but everything on it is mine - I paid for the theme and wrote every single word. The logo is something he arranged but I never much liked it anyway.

Yes, we are both registered as self-employed sole traders and with no links to each other professionally.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 28-Nov-12 22:16:04

See if he'll transfer it across to you for a nominal fee.
If not, close it and restart with another name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now