Can any editors out there give me any good tips please!

(6 Posts)
YouBrokeMySmoulder Sat 24-Nov-12 23:36:45

If you are working for a publishing company you will editing for journal style as well as all the rest of it. Lots will have you tagging it up in a template as well. Have you been asked to do that?

You wlso need to check that the refs and citations match up and that all the tables and figures are there with call outs in the text as appropriate etc.

CocktailQueen Sat 24-Nov-12 22:11:03

Are you talking about copy editing or scientific editing? They are quite different. And if you're not sure what your brief is, ask before you do the work! Most professional and saves any misunderstandings later.

Fakebook Sat 24-Nov-12 21:36:50

I think it is mostly post peer review. Will also be involved in editing books in the future, but they're starting me off on small 9 page scientific articles for journals.

Thanks BlingLoving, that's more or less what I had thought.

I have to do a good job on this first project to show them I am competent enough for them to give me more work!

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sat 24-Nov-12 21:20:21

Are you editing pre or post peer review?

BlingLoving Sat 24-Nov-12 21:17:20

I'm not an editor but have some background.

Fact check, fact check, fact check vv nb for scientific journals. Ditto reference check and accuracy cress for sense. Ensure content is appropriate. Etc.

Fakebook Sat 24-Nov-12 21:15:55

I have a scientific background and am starting a new job as a freelance scientific editor for a company. I have an idea in my head about what I'm suppose to do, but if you have any other tips about editing an article/paper I'd be very grateful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now