Should I use google adwords or facebook adverts?

(8 Posts)
ColinFirthsGirth Mon 19-Nov-12 19:21:40

Hi,
I am a Complementary Therapist and have a new website with a small online shop selling products like relaxation cd's, bath bombs, aromatherapy products etc. I had thought about trying google adwords to help drive more traffic to the online shop. However when I spoke to a man at Google adwords on the phone he said there was no point doing google adwords until I have a £10 a day budget! This is a huge amount for me at the moment but he said that the keywords for my industry would be £1-1.50. Is it worth doing when you have a much lower budget or he is right and there is no point doing it. The website has only been live for just over a week and I haven't sold anything yet but I know it is very early days.
Also does anyone have any experience of using facebook adverts to drive traffic to a facebook business page?

Thanks for reading

TalkinPeace2 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:42:15

both, everything, and ebay and your own website

and ignore the bollocks from the man at adwords - he's not exactly likely to tell you to spend less is he wink
start with £1 a day and play from there ....

I've posted on quitea few detailed adwords threads on this forum - do an advanced search :-)

ColinFirthsGirth Mon 19-Nov-12 22:12:52

Thanks TalkinPeace2. I did think perhaps he was just trying to get me to spend more. I'll do an advanced search.

rrreow Fri 30-Nov-12 17:03:13

You can run your own Adwords campaign, educate yourself (search online or get an Adwords for dummies book) and experiment with what works for your industry (eg words to focus on, what's worth spending). Also look into optimising your website so it will eventually come up in the organic results (this is a very long term strategy but so so valuable). You can pay people to do this for you, but if you look into it there is a lot you can do yourself just through investing your own time. Good luck!

Also, beware of people phoning you up saying they're from google or google Adwords. It is unlikely they are, they are usually seo firms trying to use the google name to lend their sales pitch authority.

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Fri 30-Nov-12 17:05:18

My dh has his own web company and does search engine optimisation including google Adwords. Pm me if you would like a quote if you are not comfortable doing it yourself smile.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:48:01

SEO is pretty much history now that google uses the body text rather than metatags
and the adwords algorithm does pretty much the same

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Fri 30-Nov-12 19:00:22

Metatags were 5 years ago, seo is now back linking and good quality content now, but yes it has changed since the days of metatagging.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 30-Nov-12 19:04:12

backlinks through link farms are the fast way to a blacklist - I've been doing the SEO on DH's site for ten years .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now