has anyone ever used a business consultant?

(6 Posts)
recall Thu 15-Nov-12 13:29:03

I know that i could be doing it better, and am thinking of getting help..

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 16-Nov-12 14:27:49

I've invested in sales development supported as I felt it was a weakness.

I think I know the sort of person you mean, my friend's husband does it and helps businesses grow/move forward etc. He has some good case studies, I can PM you his details if you want. He is based in Surrey, but does travel etc.

I am a big believer in investing in support where you have weaknesses. It is difficult if you are a small trader/SME to justify the cost but it is an investment.

When employed I found mentoring and coaching life changing, I guess the sort of help you are talking about will contain an element of that.

Hopefully somebody with relevant experience will be along shortly, but I'd say go for it!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 16-Nov-12 14:28:38

I've invested in sales development supported as I felt it was a weakness.

I think I know the sort of person you mean, my friend's husband does it and helps businesses grow/move forward etc. He has some good case studies, I can PM you his details if you want. He is based in Surrey, but does travel etc.

I am a big believer in investing in support where you have weaknesses. It is difficult if you are a small trader/SME to justify the cost but it is an investment.

When employed I found mentoring and coaching life changing, I guess the sort of help you are talking about will contain an element of that.

Hopefully somebody with relevant experience will be along shortly, but I'd say go for it!

recall Fri 16-Nov-12 22:35:09

thank you mrs it is a very small business - just me providing a service. I have ADD, and so I am very disorganised and know that i could be doing so much more, it is a wasted opportunity. The fee i charge is one that i made up on the spot. I am very skilled at the procedure that i perform, but not good at business

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 17-Nov-12 13:40:39

Sorry to hear about your ADD, but well done (sorry if that sounds patronising, I don't mean to be) for establishing/running your business despite that. I am sure it brings challenges for you.

I am sure you have already looked, but have you been on relevant forums, I found this discussion - adderworld.ning.com/forum/topics/running-your-own-business might offer some tips?

I wonder if a mentor would also work for you? Having somebody to check in with regularly. There is this scheme that is up and running - www.mentorsme.co.uk/finding-a-mentor I think there might a cost depending on which org/the person.

Is pricing the main thing you want help with, or just generally things outside the actual delivery?

Sorry I don't have much more to offer. I'd just say if you think it will help, give it a go. I am sure most consultants would do a free first consultation/meeting.

WilsonFrickett Fri 23-Nov-12 18:34:14

Have you tried your local enterprise zone (if that's what they're called)/chamber of commerce type thing? They often have short courses or advice and it's usually free or very cheap - just something to explore before you jump straight into shelling out for consultancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now