SAHM's & business start up anyone?

(11 Posts)
piemaker Wed 02-Jan-13 14:17:18

I am a web developer in the city thinking about quitting (part time at the moment) so I can setup my own business - building websites for startup companies.

I really want to be able to spend more time with DD instead of doing the long commutes. However, getting time to set things up is hard with my job and looking after DD. I have to pluck up the courage to quit my job so i can spend more time setting my business up.

RingoBaa Wed 02-Jan-13 09:27:25

I'm a sahm (why does my phone autocorrect that to sham?). I live abroad and I'm planning on starting teaching English classes from my home.

I have about 12 years experience teaching for other people so I have all the materials. My overheads will be minimal but I still feel nervous about starting on my own and so many details to be decided.

My first steps are clearing out the front room, setting up a website and making leaflets to put through all my neighbour's post boxes.

I also need to find a baby sitter to watch my daughter while I teach adult classes. She can join in the kiddy classes.

UnrequitedSkink Tue 01-Jan-13 20:41:45

Evenings after kids are in bed? I work part time from home and the ONLY time I can find the time is after 8.30 at night. It's knackering but it's the only way I can be at home in the daytime.

Me, me, me!

It's a fecking nightmare just now - I've got things to do, lots of ideas and leads and It Could Really Work...but, we're in our 10th week of poorly kids and appointments, never mind the lunacy of the Festivities - and, I'm finding it really hard to find the time.

Sheesh. Is it wrong to use the telly as a babysitter on Thursday when DH goes back to work so I can catch up with emails and Get Going?

Is there any other way? I've no idea how people do it!

What do you love to do? What are you frustrated about not existing.
Find either a gap in the market you can fill, or something you're talented at.
I can't answer what that is, it's different for each person.
I chose storytelling because I have the "pied piper" effect on DCs, I start telling a story, and DCs flock to me.
I can spin a story from a few random words, and have people in tears of sorrow or joy, as I choose.
Not many people can do that, so I'm ahead of the game.
I also make bespoke short stories, nobody does that properly, that's my gap in the market.
The hours are longer than I ever did as an employee, but I love my work so am more than happy to put the time in.

intresting ladies i am a sahm and needing to get work and was hoping to start a buissness so il be more flexable for my 2 children not really sure what to do though stummped for ideas :/

Coolgrin.

Littleraysofsunshine Fri 23-Nov-12 07:24:40

You do!

2DCs at school, started a storytelling business in October. Do I count?

SarahKCK Thu 22-Nov-12 10:57:07

Yeah, sahm - 2 children, one at school, one at nursery every morning - So, I'm trying to launch my own business start-up, hoping to launch early 2013...

Littleraysofsunshine Wed 14-Nov-12 20:57:15

Anyone in the same boat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now