into

(2 Posts)
JocieB Wed 14-Nov-12 12:38:59

Hi all,
I have heard this site talked about sooo many times and never thought to register! My mistake! Anyway, rectified now smile

I was made redundant in May and have really struggled to find other suitable work so have decided to have a crack at working from home. I make kids' t.shirts (from scratch... sewing, printing etc.) and it started out just as something I did for friends - but said friends all think having go at making a living out of it is a good idea!

I just absolutely don't know where to start on the business side of things though. Do I need to register as a company or a sole trader? Is being self-employed the same thing as a sole trader? Also, where do you guys put yourselves out there? I mean how do you promote to people? I have so many questions to ask!! lol. I think I'll go and write down a big list!! Just wanted to introduce myself to you all smile

MrAnchovy Wed 21-Nov-12 03:12:06

Hi, welcome and sorry you didn't get any answers!

Do I need to register as a company or a sole trader?

It's up to you. You should bear in mind that it is almost impossible to comply with the reporting requirements for a limited company without using an accountant, which is going to set you back about £750, and if your profits are very small you won't benefit from the NI saving (basically 9% of profits over £7,600 and £42,500).

Is being self-employed the same thing as a sole trader?

More or less, although if you are in a partnership you are also self employed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now