Do I Need To Set Up As A Sole Trader?

(3 Posts)
hereincornwall Mon 12-Nov-12 20:26:57

Hello,
Following on from my first post a few weeks ago, I'm dipping my toe into the self-employed world by applying for a few pieces of work through websites such as peopleperhour and timewisejobs etc. It's just a way of starting out and working out exactly what route I want to take for a longer-term business of my own. My question is, I might make the odd few pounds here and there by doing some pieces of work - would it be best to set up as a sole trader from the start? I might of course not make any money. But I hope to pick up some work and then start putting myself out there for more work, perhaps locally. I'm talking admin type stuff. Presumably I'd need to be a sole trader to be paid properly?

Thanks for any advice.

FreelanceMama Tue 13-Nov-12 04:46:21

Being a sole trader means you are registered as self employed at the simplest level i.e. You aren't registering a Ltd company. You need to notify HMRC that you are starting a business as a sole trader. It won't affect how you're paid.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:01:19

Have a look at the page I wrote for ebayers - much of the information in it is generally applicable ....
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace
feel free to print it out and cover it in highlighter pen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now