How to claim MA

(6 Posts)
FreelanceMama Wed 14-Nov-12 00:25:26

it was the National Insurance helpline that was helpful (not the DWP/Jobcentre).

MrAnchovy Mon 12-Nov-12 23:25:56

I spoke to the National Insurance people too and they were really helpful.

You must have been lucky. There are many threads on Mumsnet and other forums from self-employed people who have had totally incorrect information from the DWP/Job Centre about Maternity Allowance.

FreelanceMama Sun 11-Nov-12 22:38:32

That's good. You could always call the helpline - MA is managed by the Jobcentre, to check. I spoke to the National Insurance people too and they were really helpful.

Rebecca75 Sun 11-Nov-12 20:43:47

Oh, that's good news. I started paying in July so I will be able to claim as baby due 2nd May.

FreelanceMama Fri 09-Nov-12 23:15:19

Have you been paying Class 2 national insurance? If so, then you don't need to do anything about proving self employed income. You have to confirm the period over which you paid NI - just putting dates on the form I think.

If you've not been paying it and don't have enough employed income during the test period then you'll get the minimum MA amount - about 30 quid I think!

Rebecca75 Fri 09-Nov-12 20:19:20

Hi, I'm self-employed and wondered what proof I have to show of earnings to claim MA...?? Is it just enough to have proof of NI contributions? I'm a reflexologist and get paid cash which I generally don't bank as I keep it separate to our income and use it as an emergency / treat fund. Now I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried that I won't be able to claim.
Any advice would be VERY welcome.
Thanks, Rebecca

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now