1000 quid club revisited

(142 Posts)
DolomitesDonkey Mon 15-Oct-12 06:59:14

How is everyone getting on? Since our last thread I am moving in to a totally new area, once which I'd wanted to do (many a time), but didn't feel that I "could" - for a variety of daft reasons (e.g., self-esteem!).

I've really been struggling the last few weeks finding the time to work on this new project - my paid job has been pretty full on - e.g., 11 hour days - then with 2 tiny ones on top of that - and the change of season isn't helping.

I long for the days when the children will need to be prised from their beds rather than shouting in my face from 5am.

Has anyone got any tips for this? I'm really a morning person but my toddler is destroying my will to live, never mind my will to work. I'm open to all sorts of tips from behavioural/reward strategies through to "best doping devices". wink

I tried working late the other night but my brain turns to mush by 8pm.

I had been planning to attend the great British business show in London next month but as my new business isn't ready to launch I just feel the timing isn't quite right. I know we talk about procrastination but it's not simply that... it'd be a 300 euro day out which seems a lot for what I feel it could return to me right now. Anyway, if anyone's interested the tickets are free and there are more details here:-

www.greatbritishbusinessshow.co.uk/index.asp

mam29 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:35:02

Hi guys just thourght I update.

Jan been frustrating month for sure as thourght kids go back can get stuck in.

Dident count on flipping snow and child illness.

The bills and house plus xmas have been drain and had no money to invest.

positive things have done as trying my best not to get down and give up all woe is me yes its hard but will be worth it.

I have booked free tickets for bristish business show in june-scary as london terrefies me but think could be useful.

I have booked to fairs

1jumble sale selling all my tat to raise more capital.
other is school fair in june so need to get products in for that,
Hopefully can buy some product next week as having huge selling weekend fb/ebay and possibly chance to get fair as easy as 1st march and need to require cost of festival stall in july as hoping to have 3 seperate but linked businesses up and running by then.

process of starting a blog-that would be intresting content but also link to green issues and sustaiability.

Also investigating how blog can earn me money.

will be little while before start setting up social media yet.
trying to focus on starting small, gradually adding and local.

I hate selling parties so hope to sell mainly through fairs and website.Thinking should be aiming for 1fair/event per month.

Still not got any further with website for service business.
plan is to start small o that get decent leaflets and business cards done and canves all affluent areas near me and hope to get 1 days work and put youngest in nursery.

My final idea is not linked to other 3 and need significant capital and networking so idea is start the other 3 fisrt which will enable me to expand to 4 businesses by july thats the aim.

as need etsy shop to begin with-depending how sucessful that is then set up website but need to do more research, buying will take time and money and really need to network with specific groups to market this idea.

cant belive its 25th jan just flown by.

Updating here,
I have a party booking, I know it's not £1000, but it's not a day either. £250 for 2 hours though, if I did 4 it would scale up to £1k/day.
Massive ego boost this week, DD had homework to write about a person who's her role model. She chose me "because you made your own business from nothing, you're amazinggrin" I was very touched by that!

icepole Thu 31-Jan-13 10:12:04

Hello, I would like to join! I have an idea for an on line business and have for as far as setting up the website, struggling with tech issues though as am totally inept in this area.

My other issue is that I am not business minded at all and am
not sure how to set out what I am doing. I feel I need advice on this, any ideas where I could go for this?

AlwaysOneMissing Thu 31-Jan-13 11:14:14

InMySpareTime that is brilliant! Well done, I think you are technically earning £1000 per day grin. You must feel so proud of yourself. (And of your DD too, that is adorable and must make you feel even more proud of your achievements!) May I ask what your business is? (Sorry, I must have missed it up thread).

icepole I scoured the Internet for advice on general business practice and how to set up in business. I got invaluable help from Business Link but I'm not sure to what extent they still exist. You can still get information and advice from www.gov.uk I believe. Good luck.

AlwaysOneMissing Thu 31-Jan-13 11:17:44

Ahh, I just looked back through the thread and was reminded that you are a storyteller InMySpareTime, is that what your party booking is? How are you finding you are getting business- through word of mouth? Congrats again, must be a good feeling.

Salbertina Thu 31-Jan-13 12:56:29

Ok despite masters and previous senior management role, i cannot for the life of me currently think of decent paid wfh for me.
Only ideas so far- hosting/teaching overseas students, ebaying, exam marking, casual clerking for local council
Any inspiration please? I have a general management background (mainly public sector) plus business masters and 14 yrs training experience.

Salbertina, how about advising small businesses how to access funding/complete paperwork/negotiate contracts etc?
Always, it is a storytelling party, they found my website via a google search.

Salbertina Thu 31-Jan-13 16:51:02

Thank you, is there much market for that?

If you can do it well, and get your marketing sorted, you should be able to find your market for this. Often small businesses lack the knowledge or time to access the funding they could be entitled to, and I'd have thought they would be happy to pay you some of the money they never thought they could getsmile.

Salbertina Fri 01-Feb-13 12:54:11

Thanks, feeling a little dim and lacking in confidence but yes, why not? Hopefully i have some skills/experience to impart!
How about you, whats yr plan?

Parties for the easy money, but not reliable income.
Framed personalised stories for craft fairs, good income for summer months but time consuming getting stock levels up.
E-book for steady long term income generation.
I have lots of strings to my bow and like to have fallbacks if one sector fails.

Salbertina Fri 01-Feb-13 13:55:46

Portfolio career, hey? V wise ..plus makes life more interesting. E-book intriguing!

13,000 words so far, plan to publish with smashwords at around 30,000 words but feedback so far is overwhelmingly positive, people want answers to the questions posed in my blog "teaser" stories.
Summer is boom time for storytelling, lots of storytelling festivals. Winter is boom time for reading as people curl up with a good book. Win-win for megrin.

greatwork Fri 01-Feb-13 16:53:28

Just catching up with some of the recent posts on here and was thinking that those with ebay skills experience AND domestic / organising skills could offer a service where you combine the two. i.e. you go to someone's house help to identify / clear out unused or unwanted items which you photograph and sell, and then you 'pay' the householder an agreed percentage of the amount in vouchers which they can then use to purchase your baby sitting, tidying, ironing, cooking help. So you get a small fee for your ebay skills, and then you also have a client (who can pay) for your other services. The client gets rid of unwanted / unused items (maybe a bit of decluttering), and then also gets vouchers that they can use for your 'concierge' services. So you've helped them to afford / pay for the very thing that you want to sell. I think that might just be win-win-win-win-win grin

In fact why don't you start at my house smile

greatwork Fri 01-Feb-13 16:57:43

inmysparetime great news! I have a similar (but very different) portfolio:

- wintertime workshops and writing
- spring, summer, autumn holding ceremonies

I'm part way through writing a book to accompany my work and struggling a bit with the best way to do it (ebook or physical book). Wondering if anyone has any advice in this area?

Ebooks are IMO the best bet for a first book as they remain "on display" for longer. Smashwords do a free book marketing guide that explains the difference between print book marketing and ebook marketing more eloquently than I can.

Hoopsadazy Fri 22-Feb-13 08:38:37

Well, I have been lurking, here, on the other thread and the entrepreneur one too...

I think I am clear now what I want to do, but it might take a while to get everything sorted.

All the threads have been super inspirational and made me feel more confident about getting on with it. It has also saddened me a bit that there are so many educated, clever women out there looking after kids with no self-esteem. It's not an area for me, but anyone who wants to charge us all a reasonable sum (cos we're not yet working) to tell us that we can do it, we are great, etc.

Anyway, I was finally pushed to stop lurking and interrupt:
InMySpareTime: Have you thought about framed poems? I haven't looked if you put your site on any of the threads. However, I have thought a few times about getting DS's favourite poem up on his wall. I know Etsy do snippets of 'family' songs.

HereInCornwall: Having holidayed in Cornwall last summer, perhaps you could go into sunshine production? Umbrella sales? grin Sorry.....anyway, I think there is a company that hires out kids stuff for holiday-makers. So, if you have the car packed up then they will hire a travel cot, pushchair, highchairs, etc. Also then can target people visiting from overseas who might fly over?
On the same theme: Holiday home arrival packs? So, there are people who own the holiday homes for rent - you could get them to offer welcome packs - that you make up and provide (washing up liq, food, drink, soap) but also for people with second homes who whizz down on a Friday night - you arrange to provide them (not sure how - can they pick up from you?) with some groceries, booze, maybe hire kids toys/books, arrange a car wash while there, sort out tickets, restaurant reservations, etc. as you have the local knowledge.
Would think easy to market using lots of words about holidaying cornwall and tons of websites exist that you can advertise on?

hereincornwall Fri 22-Feb-13 09:26:49

hoopsadazy thanks for those ideas. I'm still mulling over the Cornwall/concierge/holiday idea. In the meantime, I have come up with another idea which seems to be getting good feedback. I'm getting a little bit (over)excited about it and currently working on a website etc to just get myself out there and get started. I'm also looking at an admin/organisation sideline. This thread is awesome - you're an awesome (this is currently my 4yos favourite word!) motivational bunch. I'm doing a little (free) course in the evenings which is really helping me get my head together.

I'm still aiming for 1000 quid a month initially, but the 1000 a day objective is certainly in my longer-term business plan.

The most positive things I have taken from these threads recently (and by the way, I never look at any other sub-forums - only the freelances/SE one!):

- Just get out there and give it a go, don't wait and wait until it's all perfect. You can't get clients unless you get out and advertise - doesn't matter if your site/name/content/business cards etc aren't perfect yet!

- You CAN do it. Have the confidence to go out there and sell what you're good at. Nobody can do everything/be everything all the time, so offer what you're good at to people who aren't good at it!

- Following on from the above, I am using that as a 'practise what you preach' motto. I am obviously going into an 'outsource your small jobs' type area so I have to be able to sell to people the fact that I'm BRILLIANT at xyz and they are not brilliant at it, so should pay me to do it.

Happy motivational Friday ladies!

sanam2010 Mon 25-Feb-13 18:04:53

Thought you might like this story about a millionaire mumpreneur on huffington post:
Mompreneur Nina Restieri Organizes Her Overwhelming Schedule Into A Million-Dollar Business http://t.co/euvqWBlidh

ModeratelyObvious Thu 19-Sep-13 19:58:25

Thought I'd bring this back to life...

escape Fri 20-Sep-13 21:48:40

ModeratelyO - are you working for yourself or thinking about it?

ModeratelyObvious Fri 20-Sep-13 23:19:28

Yes, just started working for myself.

escape Sat 21-Sep-13 22:58:42

What is it you do? How's it going?

DolomitesDonkey Thu 03-Oct-13 08:35:18

Just a quick bump. We at the 1000 quid club are looking for new members for our free "mastermind club". It works best for those in start-up mode or who have fewer than 12 months experience going it alone. We provide each other with support, encouragement and a sounding board whilst you bring it all together.

If you're interested in joining, please PM me - we'll need to connect on FB and then I can pop you in the group.

(PS yes, 1000/day is in sight!)

LargeLatte Thu 03-Oct-13 12:01:34

Hi Dolomites - I think I may have been in the group at some point, but it was early on and most of the activity was still on the MN thread, so I didn't participate much. Is it OK to join now.

I'm on a different path now and work as a freelance web copywriter. I love it but need to make a plan for increasing my rates - I'm aiming to be top quality at top rates. £1,000 in a day may be ambitious but you never know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now