Difficult client not paying - best thing to do?

(12 Posts)
Flippityjig Tue 25-Sep-12 10:11:57

I've been doing some website work for a difficult client. The job was badly paid and the work increased on a weekly basis, so as I was paid a set amount per week the pay was getting worse. Last week I told her I was unable to continue to these problems and also the fact that my other work load had increased.

I offered to continue working until she found someone to take over, and I also offered to try and find someone to take over. I have had no replies from her, no acknowledgements of my emails and no pay for the past two weeks' work (pay is due - by agreement with her - on the Friday, however I have always had to chase on the Tuesday and she then usually paid on the Wednesday. I asked a few times if this still suited her and she either said yes or didn't reply at all!).

I am not prepared to continue at all under these circumstances. What should I do about chasing payment? I've never been in this situation before (well, once but after a reminder payment was made last time and it was a different client) and am unsure how to chase without being on bad terms.

I have two acquaintances who would like to take over the job and I have told her that but still no reply.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 25-Sep-12 12:28:17

Stop working on it, send her the invoice for the amount outstanding by recorded delivery with a deadline for payment and if she doesn't pay up, take her to the small claims court (if it's not a huge amount).

That might screw things up for passing it over to a friend but who really wants to work for a difficult person for free?

littlebluechair Tue 25-Sep-12 12:30:40

I was going to advise basically the same as SSP has, stop trying to be nice and just be businesslike. You can not chase payment from a non-payer without being on bad terms, because it is their non-payment which has put you on bad terms isn't it? So stop feeling bad, take a deep breath, write up an invoice and send it as detailed above.

feetheart Tue 25-Sep-12 12:37:06

I agree with SlightlySuperiorPeasant though would probably send a statement or two, each with a slightly more strongly worded letter, in between the invoice and the small claims court.
I do the admin for DH's business and , surprise, surprise, its always the difficult clients who I have to chase. Usually when you get to the 'if you don't pay by xxx date I will refer the matter to the Small Claims Court" letter they pay up. If not follow it through. Its quite simple, can be done online and costs about £60 which you can claim back from the client.
Keep things clear, keep copies and be the cool calm professional.
VERY annoying but goes with the self-employed territory I think.

Good luck

Flippityjig Tue 25-Sep-12 12:47:30

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I do not have an address, just email address.

I will certainly be telling my acquaintances of her tendency to pay late if I do pass them to her, no worries!

I thought I would send a reminder after two weeks and then after a further two weeks sending a threatening letter about referring to the Small Claims Court if she still hasn't paid. Does that sort of timing sound okay?

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 25-Sep-12 12:50:42

You really need an address for her - bit late now but do evetything you can to find one and it's something to make sure you have before beginning work for any new clients.

Timings are fine I think. Do you have a contract with times to refer to?

TalkinPeace2 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:11:25

If you are writing a website for somebody, and you do not have their address there are several issues
for a start the Distance Selling Regulations - if they plan to sell ANYTHING from the site, it is illegal to NOT have their true contact details on the site.

How did you start working for them without a written quote and acceptance?

How will you do small claims court without an address?

Time to start looking them up through google / duedil / facebook / linkedin - and get paid then walk away

littlebluechair Tue 25-Sep-12 13:27:58

Don't pass this work on to your friends, I would be hacked off if you did that to me!

Flippityjig Tue 25-Sep-12 13:36:11

I took over the job from someone else when they needed a replacement urgently. It's not writing a website, it's updating an info website on a daily basis (no sales involved). No address details on the website and I have no contract, that was to follow, but of course hasn't. I do have an email with details of pay. I guess I'll learn from this and no I won't be passing the job to someone else tbh. When I took it on I was given no info about the situation being like this

I have found them on LinkedIn and will be walking away as soon as I (hopefully) get my pay. I have in the last twenty mins received an email saying she will pay my invoice asap. That's a start!

TalkinPeace2 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:41:54

Hmmm
Lesson learned.
There is ALWAYS a reason why somebody does not finish a job - and unless you can immediately see that your predecessors work was dire, its usually to do with the client !

littlebluechair Tue 25-Sep-12 13:48:14

Contracts/addresses etc first next time - if anyone wants you to work in a dodgy way then they are not to be trusted. Hope it works out and you can put this down to experience soon.

Flippityjig Tue 25-Sep-12 13:57:23

Thanks everyone. Lesson learned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now