How might I earn £1000 a month working from home?

(386 Posts)
Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 08:16:15

Hello, i wondered if any of you had any ideas about how I coud earn £1000 a month working from home?

I have spent 20 yrs working in the health service as a nurse then counsellor, just gone back after second lot of mat leave and realised I am done with the nhs, after child care I bring in £1000 a month, so I figure if I can earn this at home, I will be able to stay at home until kids in school. Any ideas ladies? (Working as private counsellor not an option at the moment as we don't have enough space)

Sianny123 Sat 20-Sep-14 13:46:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Viviennemary Sat 20-Sep-14 10:43:57

Good grief. I thought we had seen the back of tupperware. Even I have got rid of my last pieces. I wouldn't let it over the doorstep.

Sianny123 Sat 20-Sep-14 10:41:13

workingmumathome Tue 03-Jun-14 10:41:21

Xenia's not been on here for ages.
There is a cultural issue with women earning less than men for the same roles, "settling" for lower pay and status, and undervaluing their skills.
It's taken me a while to earn what I do (~£300 per school day, 4 hours' work), but that's a good rate in my profession (storytelling). I've also been developing my passive income streams (3rd book due for publication imminently) and building my contacts.
What are you lot up to?

Athrawes Thu 29-May-14 11:55:04

Xenia loving the thread and curious about whether you "judge" people who are not as financially successful as you? I love my job, used to have a fairly financially rewarding one but career changed, now have a modest income, am comfortable but lack the drive to invest the time that you have done in order to make serious money. I like reading books and knitting and hanging out. Does part of you want to kick smart intelligent educated women like me and tell me to do more?

agnieszka1988 Thu 29-May-14 11:30:10

JaneParker Sun 18-May-14 13:57:10

We had a women who earn £1000 a day thread or it developed into that. We tended to be women who were things like consultants, lawyers etc. Aim high. Too many women aim too low.

A1T99 Sat 17-May-14 21:35:15

paneer Fri 09-May-14 12:38:25

watching

Watching with interest.

namechangepro Wed 23-Apr-14 23:28:41

Whatever happened to Xenia ? smile

500smiles Wed 23-Apr-14 22:59:42

If you want to advertise, you need to pay.

Reported as spam

eurojules Wed 23-Apr-14 22:56:09

fancyanotherfez Tue 10-Dec-13 10:27:01

Stace1987 I bet you could make quite a lot from that, especially if you live in an area where there are lots of people who find it difficult to book appointments at salons, you could be a mobile beautician. There are a few where I live and they do really well with mums and the elderly. Careers advice is probably the wrong way to go because they are advising on 'jobs' rather that people who want to go self employed. Have a look and see if there are any networking groups for women in your area. Some places have networking groups especially for women who want to set up their own business.

PrimalLass Mon 18-Nov-13 13:51:25

stace1987 If you are going to do all that then look at spray tanning too. I know someone who makes quite a lot from that, especially in the summer.

Just popping back to the thread to update (since Jan!).
I have now self-published an ebook, am getting plenty of party/event/school bookings, especially now the Christmas storytelling season is upon us.
I have teamed up with a local publisher to publish a print book of fairytales and am working on a further three.
First print run is this week (I'm very excited about itgrin), to get them out as stocking-fillers.
It's all coming together, it did take a year of no profit to build the business though.

simba3 Fri 15-Nov-13 22:45:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stace1987 Tue 15-Oct-13 12:23:19

Hi, I'm a complete Noob here!! Ive read through loads of posts on the Freelance board and thought I'd reply to this one.....a little dubious though with the Zombie Warning O.o

I'm a SAHM of 5, the eldest being 14 and the youngest 2. I have no formal qualifications, I flunked school, stupid move as an A grade student!!! (I don't think Adult Numeracy level 2 counts?), however I have a huge array (of what id consider to be) skills.

Basic Skills:
Maths, English, IT (Microsoft office, Adobe, Internet fluent, typing, Windows, experience using Linux, Designing forums and Admin'ing (new word) them, I can proof read (my teachers in primary hated this lol), Graphic design (limited, but not bad).

Hobbies:
Card making, hand sewing, sewing, cross stitch, decoupage, baking and decorating (ive made some really pretty cool cakes), photography, beauty, hair, nails, diy

I have recently started training as a nail tech, a qualified (nvq2) friend has been teaching me and recommends I get quialified as im a "natural". However I am extremely unconfident, I have isssues with mental health (depression, anxiety, eating disorder) and need to get my teeth fixed. Im in a really frustrating position as I currently feel strong enough to push forward, however its at a time where there seems to be minimal help from anywhere. I have sought careers advice but they look at me like im nuts because I want to incorporate so much over time. they just do not see my vision.

My vision; I would eventually like to be a Self employed nail technician, beautician, hair stylist, photographer with the ability to offer holistic treatments. I would also love to be completely sufficient in the accounting department. I would love to offer complete packages to brides, proms, parties etc as well as individual treatments. All while still working round my children...........

Seems like a huge list I know but I am completely confident in my ability, its just me im not confident in. I want to be up and running by early 2014, nail tech qualifications permitted (my starting point) and build up from there.
I suppose my question is, what advice would you offer for someone in my situation/state of mind?

Thank you, if you read this.

RUAHall Fri 13-Sep-13 13:58:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

holidaysarenice Thu 17-Jan-13 06:07:27

Right xenia, its time you came over here! I think I badly need your help on 1000 pounds a day. Just for a few years tho, all being good I'll be a doctor then. (Tho its on your 1000/day list I'm really not believing it!!)

smile

coribells Mon 07-Jan-13 16:32:30

Hi
I'm a long way from earning £1000 per month but I did start selling more on eBay around last August. I started selling items I bought from wholesalers and outlet shops. I hit upon a niche making soaps , crayons and birthday candles for children. They sold really well in the run up til Christmas , I also attended a couple of craft markets . I am really surprised at myself , I've never considered creative or entrepreneurial at all. My next step is to work out how to market on FB and expand my range. I have a FB selling page but I don't really know what to do with it. It's linked to my own FB profile. Do I need set up a new FB profile for my business?

MadonnaKebab Sun 06-Jan-13 11:35:46

Sounds like a viable strategy IMST
Go for it !

I'm an author and storyteller so there's not really a "range", more what the market will stand.
This phase of my business is about building the brand and my social media presence. I seem to have a knack for this (I joined FB 2 months ago and know more about FB marketing strategies than my DM who's been marketing through FB for years!).
When my media presence is big enough and I've built up a decent stock of illustrated stories I'll be ready to publish, then should have a more reliable income stream.

MadonnaKebab Sun 06-Jan-13 09:25:16

Actually Inmysparetime, having your kids really early can also work out perfectly ( wel done on being nearly mortgage free, that increases your options so much)
The important thing is not to somehow undervalue your time and feel it should now be cheap/free as I have seen so many mothers do (why??)
Actually time away from your kids is now worth even more than the time of a person who has not had kids yet so you should apply for the higher salary job / cost your self-employed time at the higher end of the range

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now