How might I earn £1000 a month working from home?

(383 Posts)
Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 08:16:15

Hello, i wondered if any of you had any ideas about how I coud earn £1000 a month working from home?

I have spent 20 yrs working in the health service as a nurse then counsellor, just gone back after second lot of mat leave and realised I am done with the nhs, after child care I bring in £1000 a month, so I figure if I can earn this at home, I will be able to stay at home until kids in school. Any ideas ladies? (Working as private counsellor not an option at the moment as we don't have enough space)

DolomitesDonkey Sun 12-Aug-12 18:18:21

Xenia's positivity has a lot to do with it - look where she says she gets rejected for 80% of the work she bids for. That's right, 4 out of 5 potential clients/employers tell her they're not interested. But instead of whining on mumsnet about how there are no opportunities, she goes out and talks to 5 more people.

It's much easier to bleat about it not being fair than to get off your GFA and do something.

(This is not aimed at OP!).

Xenia Sun 12-Aug-12 19:10:25

On the game? I think I am one of the few women in the UK who paid lots of money to a man on divorce so I'm obviously in the wrong game.
I also have 100% record of failure to get non exec board posts and 100% failure record of bidding for Government work.

In fact most successful people have heaps of failures but keep going.

Here is an example of taking risk or taking something on. An editor of a journal did not want to take it over even though it is quite a big source of his income and the publisher could have folded it. The editorial company he was contracted to did not want to take it on. I was taking another 3 on so I was offered this one . Why woudl no one take it on? It was like free money. I'm sitting here this afternoon invoicing it. I cannot understand why they would not do. I suppose they might be too busy or want lots of free time and a low income or think they might have to run it at a loss.

We are now looking at 2 or 3 of the older children buying their first places and getting back into buy to letting which I did in my late 20s/early 30s. now in the early 90s we sold both flats for 50% less than we paid for them - another of my heroic failures. Has anyone else done so badly at property ... laughing as I type... but we put what was left of the money into this house, we';d had years of not much spare money as every penny went into paying back those loans so that when we did sell them the flats were not mortgaged and then put it all into this place which rose quite a lot in value.

i suppose a key thing for me is spreading or risk and lots of different sources of income which makes things less risky.

Another example bought shares, big large company portfolio £100k, managed by me... when we came to value them in 2003 down to £40k... so that shows how bad I am at stock market investment. Gosh this really is summing up my failures, isn't it? What else? I was going to add my island was unsaleable but someone just made an offer but I'm not sure I want to sell it. Then there was a the years with not a penny of savings, over drawn and £1.3m of debt, that was not really that much fun.

Spreading risk does however protect you to an extent and also it gives variety to a working life and these kinds of portfolio careers do suit women pretty well as they often if they are with a man who does not do as much as they do at home which they should never tolerate - sexist pigs are not the men to marry - then they can fit children around it too.

I must have had other failures too. I wasn't promoted where I used to work although now I regard that as a blessing as it made me to off to work for myself. Oh filming - we got £10k for a big TV thing filmed here 10 years ago. Thought wow - won't have to work again... we'll have a lot of thing - not a single bit since, except half a day radio play - why would the BBC come out to this house to record a radio play rather than do it in situ? So that lucrative side line also came to nought...

Xenia Sun 12-Aug-12 19:22:12

Quite a lot of women do earn £1000 a day and I fear that girls who aren't brought up in that kind of world then have lower expectations which is a huge pity. I got a book called What People earn from the public library in the NE in the 70s along with all the wonderful books on feminism which came out in those days - it was a great time to be around as a woman. That was helpful.

We should try to list the £1k a day women's careers to help others. SO I suppos I am saying try to go for work where you make in an hour the minimum wage which I think in terms of what I charge at I just about do.
£1k a day is £250k a year or so unless you want to take 3 months holiday a year rather than a more normal 2 - 4 weeks. As 50% goes in tax NI roughly to pay the benefits claimants those of us who work hard support and you get no tax credits that is about £125k net a year if we are assuming this mythical woman earns £250k profit - let us assume she has few expenses, no stupid expensive office and pretentious PA to pay ands he hasn't been conned into buying expensive web services and software. So her £125k net is about £2400 a month.

Let me think of a list... randomly as I'm working and 4 of the children are in...

1. Lots of consultatns, ex McKinsey, NHS management self employed consultants, lots of companies with whom I work have people working with them whom you think are employees but in fact go in there to do things for them. Those things might be general company turn around or advice, cost savings people.

2. IT contractors in particular.

3. Private sector doctors and dentists. May be some therapists. I have always thought Harley Street weight loss person probably makes a lot of money -there is a lot of money in fat women. Old age too is a huge growth market. I have done work with a few dentists recently who own a good few practices. Anything with a pyramid of people under you and you buy and they work for you. Certaily all the Asian parents around here wanting their chdilren to be a doctor, a lawyer, an accountant, a dentist or a pharmacist have just the right idea. Even if they go into business after if you get a core rare and hard to achieve professional start you are half the way there. They are sensible parents.

4. If you read the 4 hour day book you will see how he took a decision to work a few hours a day but make much more money and thatw as selling products on line like muscle building powders - huge mark up. Popcorn is another product which sels in cinemas at something like 1000 x what you pay for it.

I've got to get back to work. loads of mumsnetters haev husbands on £1k a day so I am sure those richer housewives can add what their husband does. If you read the Hakim books (and she has a new one out now) she writes about the way as women we have two ways to get money - one is like men - earning it; the second is in some ways easier - marrying someone rich. I heard on radio 4 yesterday about a woman in the |UKin 1500 who was known as the "black widow" - born into royalty but no money, she married 3 men eacho f whom died in a year or two. At 26 she had inherited three fortunes. However to attract rich men you may need to be very pretty, good at psychology, have the right sized breasts, tolerant (perhaps of his paunch and baldness ugh...) perhaps these days also have the right university degree/IQ/career and also be fertile and probably also not fat ([erhaps that's first on the list and over 50% of british people are overweight now so it's getting easier and easier to stand out just by being 8 - 9 stone - eating less costs nothing of course) and perhaps have the right accent/class - anyone can go on youtube and practise changing their accent to fit in with whatever man they are after.

Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 19:47:06

No offence taken.

Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 19:48:12

Editing yup a possibility, thank you for your ideas

Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 19:50:04

Editing yup a possibility, thank you for your ideas ladies

ScottOfTheArseAntics Sun 12-Aug-12 20:08:06

Could you offer consultancy services of any shape/form? Perhas in healthcare? Who might want/benefit from your knowledge and experience and can pay or it?

I charge £650 a day for consultancy in my field and that's not much compared to others who do what I do. I work from home but do have to travel occasionally.

Xenia, interesting post, thanks for sharing.

propercharlie Sun 12-Aug-12 20:57:28

Love your posts on this thread Zenia.

I am 27 and can earn up to c£2500 per day. Was home by 11am on Friday havent earnt £1200 that morning. And that is having qualified at 25 and had a bout of mat leave thrown in in the last 2 years!

I think (having read some of your previous posts and posts of other members about you) we may be in the same sort of area, but not 100% sure.

LaTrucha Sun 12-Aug-12 21:10:41

Qualified in what?

propercharlie Sun 12-Aug-12 21:19:49

Legal field - sorry, correction, I qualified at 24.

LaTrucha Sun 12-Aug-12 21:26:25

Ta.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 13-Aug-12 09:41:35

That's very candid (and funny!) of you Xenia. It again reiterates that when life knocks you down, you get up and try again.

I have this stuck to my office wall:
"You must always have a short-term source of income that pays the bills, two medium-term projects that supplement the income, and one long-term project that's a year away from fruition. Always."

I'm just starting out on this new way of life but damnit I'll give it a good shot. I too have a 100% failure rate with government contracts - but will still be submitting 2 tenders over the next few weeks.

naturalbaby Mon 13-Aug-12 11:17:27

Xenia's post is spot in, if you're qualified or knowledgeable enough in a particular field. Something many of us aren't without retraining.

encyclogirl Mon 13-Aug-12 11:57:07

Xenia, I love your posts on this topic. I'm very interested it buying the 4 hour a day book. Can you tell me who the author is?

ggirl Mon 13-Aug-12 12:11:37

Interesting bit on womens hour this am about how the average woman does not think she is worhty of a high salary.
Job advertised at £50,000 had no women applicants , same job advertised at £30,000 had loads of women applicants...hmm

We as women still generally think we should be spending more of our time in the home not earning than working to earn decent amts of money .

bacon Mon 13-Aug-12 12:49:05

Back to OP. Agree with previous comment you still need childcare even if you work from home and if you read all previous posts many of us have to pay for nursery as it is not feasible to earn and have a child in tow. When older - say 2 years its a nightmare. Once you are using the telephone you must have peace.

I'm sorry far to many women think that working from home is a good way of making money at £1000 per month is a wonderful figure. You havent stated if you have other children and you still have to do school runs, food, housework and other chores.

You end up doing loads at night and weekends too so its dreamy to think its a easier option. If you were earning such a great salary with all the amazing perks (sick pay, hols, pension etc) you get while being employed you can forget it when self employed.

Being self employed is tough and dont forget you need to take overheads out of earnings, £1k would be your clear drawings.

Xenia Mon 13-Aug-12 15:59:04

4 hour working week book is not that great - rather American. I read it on holiday but he is unliek me and the other high earner on the thread devoid of any special qualifications and just sold stuff on line and wrote a book so in some ways an even better example than those of us who have passed a lot of difficult exams in a niche field which most people would fail etc..

www.amazon.co.uk/The-4-Hour-Work-Week-Anywhere/dp/0091923727/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344869810&sr=8-1

I do think women should aim high and it's true as quoted above that many women think they aren't up to much and don't price high enough. Basicallly copy high paid men in most sectors and you can't go too far wrong (including delegating all dull as ditcherwater stuff like cleaning the loo which men seem to find easier than women usualyl because they marry some low earning housewife who ends up being his own personal loo scrubber)

BonnieBumble Mon 13-Aug-12 18:22:50

Xenia whilst I don't agree with everything that you say you do talk a lot of sense when it comes to career matters and financial business.

I have got lots of ambitions and realistic plans in my head, however I have made a lot of wrong decisions in my life and my choices are preventing me from realising my dreams. How do you stay focused when your life is dissolving into chaos and you are trapped in domestic drudgery?

Xenia Mon 13-Aug-12 18:48:12

It's hard if you have babies as they are up every few hours to breastcfeed so people get very tired. I can certanily remember that stage. We had 3 under 4, both worked full time, plus their father had his weekend work, plus we did up two flats and managed and let them. I remember that being hard in my mid to late 20s.

I was lucky that I concentrated on getting pretty good exam results at school and university which is why if all of us can encourage our daughters to do the same it can make life easier as you go on but plenty who leave school at 16 manage to found businesses which do okay too.

Domestic drudgery... well depends what it is. I did use 5am - 7am on Saturdays as working time when the twins were under 1 to get some work done. If you really want to fit things in most people can. Perhaps some of the domestic stuff does not need to be done.
The main problem for most people is they earn the minimum wage so they earn the cost of chidlcare. If you earn £xxx an hour everything changes as you can work for an hour and that buys you 40 hours of child care or cleaning or whatever.. It's why I think women putting on children's parties for £200 for 2 hours in N London are going to do better than someone offering to clean neighbours' houses at £6 an hour.

BonnieBumble Mon 13-Aug-12 19:40:49

Thank you Xenia. I think working between 5-7 a.m is a good idea. Once the children are up I find it really hard to focus on anything other than them. My youngest starts nursery for six hours per week in September and I have to make sure that I really make the most of that time.

I'm finding at the moment that I'm torn between my ambitions and my children and everyone is suffering as a result.

With hindsight I should have followed my gut instincts and not been swayed by other people's negativity.

Xenia Mon 13-Aug-12 20:28:40

It's never too late to improve things. We have had endless mumsnet thrreads about how much better children are with working mothers both in terms of their personalities, their abilities and of course the family income so never ever feel guilty for doing what often benefits them more than staying home with mother.

naturalbaby Mon 13-Aug-12 22:15:03

I have had my eyes opened recently regarding my earning power and career, and am inspired by plans of improving things. I wish I'd realised and done something about it before I had 3 DC's!

Xenia Tue 14-Aug-12 07:37:33

Good for you. Too many women value themselves too at too little a sum, although I accept that it is not hard to get any kind of job or set up a business for some people.

Technoviking Tue 14-Aug-12 15:39:36

I'm going to defend Xenia, here.

I don't think she was spouting off or glorifying anything. The OP asked how to earn £1000 a month just like that. Xenia's point is that she can only earn high day rates due to working bloody hard in her chosen field.

It's not for everyone, but it is for many. Everyone piling into her smacks of jealousy to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now