How might I earn £1000 a month working from home?

(383 Posts)
Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 08:16:15

Hello, i wondered if any of you had any ideas about how I coud earn £1000 a month working from home?

I have spent 20 yrs working in the health service as a nurse then counsellor, just gone back after second lot of mat leave and realised I am done with the nhs, after child care I bring in £1000 a month, so I figure if I can earn this at home, I will be able to stay at home until kids in school. Any ideas ladies? (Working as private counsellor not an option at the moment as we don't have enough space)

Cubaba Wed 24-Oct-12 23:00:28

Wow...is this the or one the longest threads on MN? What a great read although had to skim towards the end blush

Another book I would recommend is The Laptop Millionaire by Mark Anastasi. Should be available via Amazon but is certainly available from his website. Great ideas on building online businesses, marketing them on a limited (or even NO) budget, outsourcing...similar to The 4 Hour Week but Mark breaks it all down very simply. There are a lot of testimonials in the book also which I liked but some people feel is just bragging!

Also, the World Internet Summit is taking place in London next week. It's over 4 days I think - it will be packed with information for those who want to exploit the power of the internet for their current business or who are looking for ideas. However, there will be lots of promoting by the speakers as they will all have programs, courses etc to sell. Nevertheless, if you can put up with the sales patter you can often get a lot of information out of it that will still allow you to put plans in place.

Xenia Fri 02-Nov-12 11:46:55

As far as I remember the best part was near the start including my various glorious failures.

I agree with the post above - always avoid people with something to sell (or try to turn it round on to what you can sell to them, like my mother trying to convert the Jehovah's witnesses to Catholicism at the door - that certainly saw them turn tail and flee).

The main advice I have is do not just think. Of course plan but if you never make a start at anything you don't get anywhere. Better to place a local ad and actually try to market some service even if you have 4 other better plans up your sleeve than just sitting there thinking about it for years. The only reason I wrote 30 books was I sat down and spent hours typing nothing to do with any intrinsic skill which is any better than anyone else's. Effort tends to pay off.

Xenia Sun 04-Nov-12 12:23:31
wannabebondgirl Wed 07-Nov-12 22:21:33

The ideas here are fantastic and inspiring!

I have 10 years experience managing an IT helpdesk in local healthcare, a top honours degree in IT and experience of managing staff. However, in terms of transferable skills I don't really feel I have any. My working environment is highly competitive and has perhaps dented my confidence...a perfect reason to get out!

In the past I have started two businesses without success. Just a kid when I started my first business and the last business failed as I could not give up my regular salary. I was savvy enough not to be left in debt though and continued with my secure but boring, chained to the desk job!

Now looking for my next move and how great is it to see all these women sharing ideas!

I just need to figure out what I can do! Don't feel my skills are good enough to transfer into consultancy...I am a risk taker but also a realist!

My child has not long started school so long hours are out but you've got to expect to put some extra hours in to be a success. To date, I've been working part-time but it's now time to start thinking of making serious cash.

I am a single parent.

Many thanks to all for the great ideas and advice and good luck to all! x

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 08-Nov-12 00:36:54

A very timely thread - just marking my place for now.

LeChatRouge Fri 04-Jan-13 18:28:25

Happy New Year to all of you!

How is it going for those that were inspired back in August when this thread started? Any plans coming to fruition?

Anyone else inspired by the 'New Year.....a new start!' feeling?

Business doing well here, a decent FB following, I have had a paid job already, which was more than I had planned for.
Several places with decent footfall would like to display my framed stories, which is free advertising for me.
A local magazine offered me advertising space at a discount. I declined but will write a short story article for the magazine (again free advertising).
I am using this time to build brand awareness and to build up a stock of framed stories ready for sale.

MadonnaKebab Sat 05-Jan-13 09:21:17

I am also in the over £1000k/day club
The secrets are very boring
In the early years, Work long hours and also study for further qualifications while your friends are travelling/ partying every night
Choose a well paid profession
Take sensible risks (eg borrow lots of money to start my own practice, but not until I had 80% equity in our home)
And (in my case) delay starting a family until well on the way to achieving all this, and make sure your partner does at least as much child care / house stuff as you do
None of it is unobtainable but the biggest factor is believing that you deserve it

carcassone Sat 05-Jan-13 12:18:35

Just read this thread from start to finish, it was quite inspirational.

What sort of careers or potential freelance work could you suggest for a scientist? I am quite a technical person, very academically minded, came top at school, top universities and results for degree and PhD etc. I currently have a job doing science research (permanent, not in academia), but I find myself only earning £30k/year with the prospect of never really earning a huge amount.

I have considered switching to patent law, which would require 5 years of training but would put me on the road to eventually earning £1k/day if I became a partner etc. I am apprehensive though as I want to start a family within the next couple of years and am worried about spreading myself too thin. All the talk on this thread about earning £1k/day buying you lots of time is great when you get to the point of earning freelance, but of course that's not an option when you are still training...

DolomitesDonkey Sun 06-Jan-13 05:17:25

Madonna If I'd left having children and 80% equity until I had children I'd have been travelling to Romania for IVF and the Daily Mail would've done a DPS on me. wink

I do however agree 100% on your comment "believe you deserve it".

Because for me - I knew I was smarter than most, I knew I could work more than most (as you pointed out you did when you were younger), I just didn't know that "someone like me" could work for myself.

I thought people who worked for themselves were "market traders", naice middle-class girls worked for someone else.

I had a real set-back when things didn't work out with a partner so I had to start all over again. But it's going very well and I'm looking at opportunities to diversify and get that passive elusive income.

My confidence is increasing daily. My (latest) business has only actually been live 3 weeks now and there are plenty of wrinkles to be ironed out, but the interest is phenomenal - from both myself and clients!

bondgirl I too come from an IT background, don't sell yourself short - I bet you have 1000 skills - just because you've been working in an unsupportive and poisonous industry (or project) doesn't mean you are worthless at all - see Madonna's point!

carcassone Students will always require mood-altering supplements. wink It's how my chemistry teacher funded his degree. Seriously though, writing white papers for no think tanks? Special advisor? It will probably require leaving the laboratory unless you start manufacturing drugs to sell to the NHS at massively inflated prices.

Madonna, I fluffed the "planning" aspect of DCs, graduated from my first degree 6 months pregnantblush.
I used the time while the DCs were little (they're 11 and 8) to study for another degree, I now have a science and an arts degreegrin. We are close to mortgage free though, I'll be 40 when it's paid off, and by then my current business will be a steady income stream and I'll have moved on to something everything else.
Right now, not even 100 a day, but within a few years it's definitely achievable.

MadonnaKebab Sun 06-Jan-13 09:25:16

Actually Inmysparetime, having your kids really early can also work out perfectly ( wel done on being nearly mortgage free, that increases your options so much)
The important thing is not to somehow undervalue your time and feel it should now be cheap/free as I have seen so many mothers do (why??)
Actually time away from your kids is now worth even more than the time of a person who has not had kids yet so you should apply for the higher salary job / cost your self-employed time at the higher end of the range

I'm an author and storyteller so there's not really a "range", more what the market will stand.
This phase of my business is about building the brand and my social media presence. I seem to have a knack for this (I joined FB 2 months ago and know more about FB marketing strategies than my DM who's been marketing through FB for years!).
When my media presence is big enough and I've built up a decent stock of illustrated stories I'll be ready to publish, then should have a more reliable income stream.

MadonnaKebab Sun 06-Jan-13 11:35:46

Sounds like a viable strategy IMST
Go for it !

coribells Mon 07-Jan-13 16:32:30

Hi
I'm a long way from earning £1000 per month but I did start selling more on eBay around last August. I started selling items I bought from wholesalers and outlet shops. I hit upon a niche making soaps , crayons and birthday candles for children. They sold really well in the run up til Christmas , I also attended a couple of craft markets . I am really surprised at myself , I've never considered creative or entrepreneurial at all. My next step is to work out how to market on FB and expand my range. I have a FB selling page but I don't really know what to do with it. It's linked to my own FB profile. Do I need set up a new FB profile for my business?

holidaysarenice Thu 17-Jan-13 06:07:27

Right xenia, its time you came over here! I think I badly need your help on 1000 pounds a day. Just for a few years tho, all being good I'll be a doctor then. (Tho its on your 1000/day list I'm really not believing it!!)

smile

RUAHall Fri 13-Sep-13 13:58:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stace1987 Tue 15-Oct-13 12:23:19

Hi, I'm a complete Noob here!! Ive read through loads of posts on the Freelance board and thought I'd reply to this one.....a little dubious though with the Zombie Warning O.o

I'm a SAHM of 5, the eldest being 14 and the youngest 2. I have no formal qualifications, I flunked school, stupid move as an A grade student!!! (I don't think Adult Numeracy level 2 counts?), however I have a huge array (of what id consider to be) skills.

Basic Skills:
Maths, English, IT (Microsoft office, Adobe, Internet fluent, typing, Windows, experience using Linux, Designing forums and Admin'ing (new word) them, I can proof read (my teachers in primary hated this lol), Graphic design (limited, but not bad).

Hobbies:
Card making, hand sewing, sewing, cross stitch, decoupage, baking and decorating (ive made some really pretty cool cakes), photography, beauty, hair, nails, diy

I have recently started training as a nail tech, a qualified (nvq2) friend has been teaching me and recommends I get quialified as im a "natural". However I am extremely unconfident, I have isssues with mental health (depression, anxiety, eating disorder) and need to get my teeth fixed. Im in a really frustrating position as I currently feel strong enough to push forward, however its at a time where there seems to be minimal help from anywhere. I have sought careers advice but they look at me like im nuts because I want to incorporate so much over time. they just do not see my vision.

My vision; I would eventually like to be a Self employed nail technician, beautician, hair stylist, photographer with the ability to offer holistic treatments. I would also love to be completely sufficient in the accounting department. I would love to offer complete packages to brides, proms, parties etc as well as individual treatments. All while still working round my children...........

Seems like a huge list I know but I am completely confident in my ability, its just me im not confident in. I want to be up and running by early 2014, nail tech qualifications permitted (my starting point) and build up from there.
I suppose my question is, what advice would you offer for someone in my situation/state of mind?

Thank you, if you read this.

simba3 Fri 15-Nov-13 22:45:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Just popping back to the thread to update (since Jan!).
I have now self-published an ebook, am getting plenty of party/event/school bookings, especially now the Christmas storytelling season is upon us.
I have teamed up with a local publisher to publish a print book of fairytales and am working on a further three.
First print run is this week (I'm very excited about itgrin), to get them out as stocking-fillers.
It's all coming together, it did take a year of no profit to build the business though.

PrimalLass Mon 18-Nov-13 13:51:25

stace1987 If you are going to do all that then look at spray tanning too. I know someone who makes quite a lot from that, especially in the summer.

fancyanotherfez Tue 10-Dec-13 10:27:01

Stace1987 I bet you could make quite a lot from that, especially if you live in an area where there are lots of people who find it difficult to book appointments at salons, you could be a mobile beautician. There are a few where I live and they do really well with mums and the elderly. Careers advice is probably the wrong way to go because they are advising on 'jobs' rather that people who want to go self employed. Have a look and see if there are any networking groups for women in your area. Some places have networking groups especially for women who want to set up their own business.

eurojules Wed 23-Apr-14 22:56:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

500smiles Wed 23-Apr-14 22:59:42

If you want to advertise, you need to pay.

Reported as spam

namechangepro Wed 23-Apr-14 23:28:41

Whatever happened to Xenia ? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now