How might I earn £1000 a month working from home?

(383 Posts)
Mumblepot26 Sun 12-Aug-12 08:16:15

Hello, i wondered if any of you had any ideas about how I coud earn £1000 a month working from home?

I have spent 20 yrs working in the health service as a nurse then counsellor, just gone back after second lot of mat leave and realised I am done with the nhs, after child care I bring in £1000 a month, so I figure if I can earn this at home, I will be able to stay at home until kids in school. Any ideas ladies? (Working as private counsellor not an option at the moment as we don't have enough space)

Xenia Thu 30-Aug-12 10:12:33

H, don't think there is one route forward but before I started working for myself in 94 I did build up 2 or 3 sources of income and I like th fact now that (a) have variety which is fun and (b) I have protection as if one side of things collapsed the others would still be there. However lots of other people want to build up one thing well and concentrate on what they know best so what I do does not necessarily suit everyone and I do not want to say i do more than I do do - I basically have one areas of a profession and I practise and sell in different ways within it.

Someone paid me last night for an hour of my time on skype helping her in a sense with her job and teaching her in another sense. I am certainly not the best example of successful female entrepreneur in the UK although I do earn quite a bit. I have found what works for me - simplicity and no employed staff but many other people do something whcih involves their hiring lots of employees and that works well for them.

ethelb Thu 13-Sep-12 16:02:41

I just had a look at a 1-day coding workshop as that woudl help me with the website I am building. They charge a minimum of £500 a day per delegate going up to £1000! And they take 10-15 people per day.

Ok so they have an office etc, but that is huge money.

Anyone here sayign they struggle to make money doing IT consultancy, just undercut them a bit or even offer a live online course and you would have megabucks!

Xenia Sat 15-Sep-12 08:36:19

Yes I sometimes put on courses but t is not always that esay to get enough numbers. £500 a day per delegate is not unusual in many areas as the fee for a day on a course. If you can get 10 people attending that's pretty good. If you can get 30 which is harder even better.

Xenia Sat 15-Sep-12 08:37:15

(someone asked for those links. the mumsnetters who earn £1k a day issue came out of someone suggesting £1k a month was good and people piled in saying don't aim low. £1k a day is what a good few women can earn.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/freelancers/1545649-Who-wants-to-be-an-entrepreneur-Start-here-and-those-who-are-help-here-please

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/freelancers/1538634-How-might-I-earn-1000-a-month-working-from-home?pg=10 )

SaraBellumHertz Sat 15-Sep-12 09:27:29

This is a really interesting thread. I'm employed so not all relevant but the comments about asking for less budget because I want to save my employer money v the my dept is really important approach really resonates. I know I'm guilty of this, and I sell myself short, own up to my inadequacies too readily etc.

I've returned to work after years out of the market - I was well qualified before and so earn a good salary (6figures - just) but I'm ot doing what i previously did so lack confidence - im constantly fighting the am I good enough paranoia. Anyone got any suggestions for inspiring reading (other than this thread grin ) for a woman in my position?

Xenia Sat 15-Sep-12 11:16:40

Yes, I do fine people are not always that appreciative that you are saving them money and some ilke to show off how much they pay to certain advisers (just as a good few men like to show off to other men about what their wife cost them in shoes or on a divorce as a kind of badge, a tool, a I am one of the group kind of comment) and the argument being they will take the pain of the high charge and that in a sense it indicates you are pretty good if you charge that much.

Xenia Sat 15-Sep-12 11:18:36

Actually the interesting bit of the thread much higher up were ideas about which jobs might mean a woman earns £1000 a day compared to say £48 which is 8 hours at £6 an hour. What is it that women can do to ensure they are the woman who earns 200x the other for a day's work. What choices can we or our daughters make to ensure we are in the 200x club rather than the minimum wage club?

Of course you can be happy whatever you earn and many men or women have no interest in ernning £1k a day of course.

Himalaya Sat 15-Sep-12 11:32:31

Mumblepot -

You might be finished with the NHS, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are finished with the workplace. Working at home is not for everyone. It can be isolating, and unless you have a lot of contacts can become a dead-end.

I would set the parameters more broadly than just clearing £1k a month. This doesn't necessarily mean Xenia-style island buying, but I think the question you should be asking should be "what can I do that would use my skills, be fulfilling and give me scope to increase my earning power over the next 10/20 years.

This might mean retraining or figuring out a sideways move into the private sector, or education etc in a role that builds on your skills, it might mean starting your own business (e.g. Training company, care agency), or consulting.

If you are serious about whatever you are doing you will still need childcare even if you work from home.

Xenia Sun 16-Sep-12 09:48:36

9.50, nearly up to £1k but it;s quite boring this thing so I had hoped there would be many £1k a day women posting to enliven me. You have let me down and it's going to be rather cold for my swim today. Autumn is truly here. I was evening looking for a winter coat last night inspired by the wife on Parade's End. The ASOS model (as seen on screen) has been so successful. Perhaps I should look there for what I'm after. I need a mumsnetter who will find clothes I want to save my time.

ShobGiteTheKnid Mon 17-Sep-12 03:25:37

I'll do i Xenia. It'll cost you though wink

DolomitesDonkey Mon 17-Sep-12 06:03:42

I think workshops are a great money spinner - however as a former programmer I would be absolutely livid had I paid that kind of attendance fee to find myself in a class of 30 - you cannot teach programming in that manner! The classes I teach have an absolute maximum of 10 pupils (preferably 8) because I cannot give the kind of attention needed to 30. A webinar lecture is different of course. If you pay 500 a day you want to feel important, not just a bum on a seat!

FYI Island nay-sayers, psssst, they're not even that expensive in the big scheme of things. wink

Xenia Mon 17-Sep-12 08:39:45

I keep saying. A holiday flat in France will often be more expensive than my island. The only thing about the island is that it is an illustration of someone working to achieve what they wanted as a woman. It couldj ust as easily be a small life air craft or funding a Nepal orphanage or buying model planes or whatever you are into.

ShobGiteTheKnid Mon 17-Sep-12 13:49:55

Can I you stay on your island Xenia? Is there a house on it? Sounds wonderful, I'd love an island. smile

TalkinPeace2 Mon 17-Sep-12 17:59:14

Xenia
Is that £1k yours or the firms - as in are you paying salaries and overheads out of that?
My net profit percentage is 85% and my fee take today is £450 - and I spent the morning at the gym ....

By the way, is your island going to be OK with sea level rise (serious question) ?

FatFaced Mon 17-Sep-12 18:16:13

I do some training as part of my current day job... Reading all this I'm quite inspired to use some annual leave to run a few of my own sessions and charge people!

Xenia Mon 17-Sep-12 21:22:36

Mine as I eat all I kill. I'm very lucky. Mind you I make a lot of my own luck.

The sea level issue is fine. I found a good app which tracks distance above sea and it is quite high, both sides of the island. It is not like very flat ones you see.

I think the second picture down shows the height/cliffs best actually

www.film-locations.co.uk/catalog.php?item=805 of those photographs anyway.

Anyway one reason I'm successful is I am a huge optimist. Life always gets better and better. Some people look on the black side all the time and spend their lives fraught with worry.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 17-Sep-12 21:26:54

LOL
If the sea rises a metre or two you'll own an archipelago - or to look at it another way, an Island for each of your kids!!

I've nearly finished this evening's set of accounts :-)
You are right, life is what you make it, but supportive parents (emotionally rather than financially) are crucial

SaraBellumHertz Tue 18-Sep-12 10:28:36

Xenia - i think your optimism shines through on this thread. The constant putting yourself out there and dusting down after rejection is inspiring. Really.

Good luck to you

NotAChocolateRaisin Tue 18-Sep-12 13:16:31

This thread is inspiring and has kept me going during the cold months of a hard job search. I've already printed it out and sent it to my mother who runs her own business.
I aim to set up a business myself but have a set goal to get there and, having just landed my dream job, I'm now on my way!

nordiccamper Tue 18-Sep-12 13:43:44

I have earned £1600 today writing two press releases as a freelancer.

nordiccamper Tue 18-Sep-12 14:47:39

Sorry £1300, I mistyped that!

Xenia Tue 18-Sep-12 20:24:40

Well done. I think it's very important women know what other women earn and what is possible.

Yes, things go wrong a lot and they do for most people but you just have to get on with it and forget the bad things and make the good ones work.

Do we mean supportive parents when you're growing up? Certainly how people are up to age 7, whether they are loved etc makes a difference to how they are although even there some of the most determined successful entrepreneurs are exceptional and do well because their childhood was so dreadful whereas the comfy trust fund no incentive to lift a finger person tends to end up like poor Eva Rausing.

Good luck to NotaC. It is a very difficult time for anyone to get jobs. I am certainly not suggesting anything is easy.

Someone just emailed that I "am a star" for agreeing to do something before 9.30am so I suppose I'd better do it although I am not that keen tonight on forcing myself.

We had a call about filming at the house again today (not a huge fee at all and even my very reduced rate he is not sure) so that is likely to be another "failure" in a sense but doesn't matter if enough other things go ahead. A national newspaper emailed about wanting to publish my letter. Been out speaking. Met some lovely people. Moved 20 very heavy boxes up a ladder earlier. I found balancing them on the head like an African tribesperson worked best (and is probably good foir the spine). i don't we balance enough very heavy loads on our heads. I expect it did me a lot of good. It is no wonder I have such strong arm muscles - much cheaper than a gym.

(The island has no house on it although supposedly I have someone out there this year who is building a one room thing on it but he hasn't got round to it yet; never mind).

Xenia Wed 19-Sep-12 09:57:58

Ah, bad news. My proposal to purchase a lavatory to convert to a home has been rejected. They are reviewing their options "for this asset" which is not currently in use. If advertised in future they won't tell me but if I spot it I could bid. I think that idea will have to be dropped. This was quite inspiring www.telegraph.co.uk/property/9462068/From-public-loo-to-private-home-in-pictures.html?frame=2303919

caramelwaffle Wed 19-Sep-12 10:57:50

Oh my goodness - the shoes. The shoes! haha And the gold on the bathroom wall is quite fabulous.

It's a shame you have lost out this time; these lavatories are always in such fabulous locations but it hopefully may only be this time.

I've had brief thoughts of "cashing in" and doing something like that (helps to have relatives who are in the building trade).

FatFaced Wed 19-Sep-12 16:17:32

What do you do xenia? I'm really fed up at work at the moment and fancy a career change. I'd quite like to work part-time (so I could maybe go back to uni) but earn lots of money grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now