How do I become a Yoga teacher?

(37 Posts)
DairyNips Sun 29-Jul-12 20:48:15

I was considering training as a Yoga teacher then offering classes in my local area. There is a major shortage of anything like this where I live.

I have briefly done yoga in the past as a 10 week course and with a DVD at home. I loved it and think I would enjoy running classes.

So, any idea how I go about this?

DairyNips Sun 29-Jul-12 21:23:12

Bumpsmile

DairyNips Sun 29-Jul-12 21:36:24

Anyone?

DairyNips Mon 30-Jul-12 08:33:43

FlamingoBingo Mon 30-Jul-12 10:40:54

OK, there are lots of different ways of training to be a yoga teacher, but a 10 week course and a dvd at home is probably not the best basis for starting the training.

If you look at the British Wheel of Yoga website, you should find courses listed there. Where in the country are you?

The best thing for now, though, would be to do some yoga weekends and find out what sort of yoga teaching really appeals to you and why.

I am training with Paul Harvey in Bristol and it's very involved. My own teacher I go to for weekly classes and five-weekly one-to-ones where I get my own daily routine to do at home.

Yoga isn't like aerobics. It's a whole lifestyle and you kind of need to understand that to be able to teach it properly. Unfortunately it's kind of been bastardised by the Western idea of yoga where you go along once a week and try to be as bendy as possible. The asanas side of yoga is actually only a very tiny part of yoga, but Western yoga pretends it's the only part.

It might help you to get hold of a copy of The Heart of Yoga by TKV Desikachar and read through that first of all, and find a teacher nearish to you who you could start seeing regularly. If you get on with him/her and get on with a nearly-daily yoga practice, you could find out where he/she trained and follow that path.

DairyNips Mon 30-Jul-12 16:40:42

Ah thanks, thats really interestingsmile Yeah I am aware I would need to be doing it daily and know a lot more than what I know at the moment! It was more of a log term idea/plan iyswim.

I can't really do a yoga weekend at the mo as an bfing a 6 week old but again it is a n idea for the future.

I am in Northumberland, almost in Scotland.

I like the idea of it becoming a way of life, it really appeals to me. When you say way of life can you describe a bit more what you mean? Would it involve changing my diet for instance or are you more meaning a state of mind?

FlamingoBingo Mon 30-Jul-12 18:02:57

It's about state of mind. The word 'yoga' actually means 'to yoke' and it refers to linking your unchanging awareness (some traditions call this your soul, your spirit, your higher self. Yoga calls it your cit (pronounced chit)), with your psyche (ego/citta (pronounced chitta)) so that you can live with awareness and make helpful, not harmful, decisions.

So: 'shall I eat that chocolate?' would be a decision based on our irrational, and changeable egos if we said 'yes because I feel miserable' or 'no, because it'll make me fat'. If we linked our cit with our citta, we'd be saying 'no, because I'm not hungry' or 'yes, I'm hungry and I need an energy boost' - it's a wise decision instead of an ego-based irrational one IYSWIM.

Yoga uses various 'tools' to help learn how to do this, and one of those tools is asana (the postures). When you're linking your breath with your movement, it leads to you stilling your chattering ego psyche bit so that you're listening more to your higher self/soul bit. You're feeling every bit of the movement and listening to what your body's telling you.

The idea is that the asana are preparing you for a period of pranayama - seated breath work. This is very similar to Buddhist meditation.

So, no, you don't have to become vegetarian or anything, but many yogis do because they begin to feel that it's a harmful decision to eat meat when there are other choices that would be less violent. I am semi-vegetarian. I try to eat very little meat, but I'm realistic in knowing that I can't make a change like that overnight, so I try to eat with awareness instead.

Practising yoga is literally that - practising. It's not doing a few exercises in the morning to get bendier, it's practising linking your awareness with your psyche so that, as you get more and more practise, you begin to feel it seep into the rest of your life so that you're making wise decisions all the time.

Western yoga is often very ego based, even though most Western yogis will deny this. Otherwise, why all the photos of terribly bendy, skinny, beautiful women? why do we feel that we need to be able to do crazy backbends on our heads in order to be good at yoga?

Actually it's not about that, it's about learning about how to work with our bodies and our psyches to challenge and find our limits and start where we are and make helpful decisions etc.

Does that help?

You probably don't need a yoga weekend - I suggested that as it sounded like you couldn't get along to a regular weekly group.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 30-Jul-12 19:09:33

my teacher also trains with Paul Harvey!

BWY courses are what you'll need to get your insurance etc

DairyNips Mon 30-Jul-12 19:35:35

I could listen to you all day, very interestinggrin
Think i'm going to get that book you mentioned as a starting point, it's in iBooks so I can read it whilst I feedsmile

I know I haven't done a lot of yoga at all but I always enjoyed the feeling of being energised and relaxed at the same time.

I did natal hypnotherapy for my 3 births and found the breathing techniques etc really helpful. Kinda reminded me of some of the things we did in the yoga classes although a bit different..

Hard for me to get to a yoga class as there is one sports centre here and all they offer is Pilates. I looked on the timetable and it isn't listed so don't even know of they're doing that at the moment confused Not sure Pilates is even what I want to be doing, just wanted basic yogahmm

FlamingoBingo Mon 30-Jul-12 21:20:51

IMHO, it's not worth bothering with sports centre yoga classes. Google and see if there's anything else near you. Let us know how you get on smile

TalkinPeace - who's your teacher? [nosy]

TalkinPeace2 Mon 30-Jul-12 21:33:25

not telling as it would utterly out me
- but she teaches in my gym and another one on the other side of town - the venue is much less important than the teacher!

DairyNips Mon 30-Jul-12 21:49:09

I'll try googling, this is the problem with living in such a small town. Nothing going on hereconfused

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Mon 30-Jul-12 22:28:55

Dairy there is someone on here who is a yoga teacher teacher. She does courses. I will get her to come on this thread...

TalkinPeace2 Mon 30-Jul-12 22:32:00

have a look on here
www.bwy.org.uk/instructor/find.htm
my teachers and their teachers show up ....

DairyNips Mon 30-Jul-12 23:03:05

Thanks halfmum and talkinsmile

DairyNips Mon 30-Jul-12 23:06:16

Just searched on that link, the closest teacher is 16 miles away. Why do I have to live in the back of beyond?!

Wolfiefan Mon 30-Jul-12 23:11:41

What sort of yoga are you interested in? Be aware that different forms can be very different. (eg Hatha or ashtanga). I do iyengar. Try reading around the subject. Yoga mad and yoga matters both great websites but nothing compares to a really good teacher who insists you do it correctly.

FlamingoBingo Tue 31-Jul-12 06:43:33

Talkin' - true, true, I just meant that often sports centre yoga classes are there solely as exercise classes rather than real yoga classes IYSWIM. It's certainly the case around where I live, anyway!

Minimammoth Tue 31-Jul-12 08:19:52

Hi Dairy. BWY is not the only training on offer. I know a teacher in your area, who is also a trainer. I will PM you. However most good trainings will expect you to have a couple of years practice in a class before taking you for training. Yoga is far more than what you do in class as Flaming said.

Minimammoth Tue 31-Jul-12 08:38:45

It might be a good idea to ask around, look on notice boards and any local whole food shops, complementary health centres etc. as many yoga teachers run private classes, look at what is happening at the local community centre, church hall etc. good hunting.

DairyNips Tue 31-Jul-12 09:38:19

Thanks for all the info!

I'm not sure what type of yoga I want to practice as I'm not sure what type I did beforeconfused Clearly I need to read up a lot on the subject and make my mind up on that one!
We do have a health food shop here so will check theresmile

TalkinPeace2 Tue 31-Jul-12 13:41:06

Do not forget that where a teacher is based may not be where they teach - my three have a class radius of around 20 miles - call the nearest three and see what they say ....

Flamingo
I quite agree about the difference between stretching and yoga
I do BodyBalance and love it but its not the same as a yoga class with proper breath control and focus on the exact geometry of a posture

DairyNips Tue 31-Jul-12 18:58:51

Ah I see talkin thanks for the advice.

When you practice yoga at home do you just follow what you have been taught or do you have a set routine?

TalkinPeace2 Tue 31-Jul-12 19:02:14

I don't do it at home!
I go to three classes a week of yoga and two or three of bodybalance and swim five miles a week.
I am by no means a yogi. Just an accountant who finds the mindfulness control useful when talking to clients wink

DairyNips Tue 31-Jul-12 19:08:29

Ah I seegrin I used to do it at home with a DVD but the DVD I had was really crap!

Would like to find a good one that I can follow at home..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now