Domain Names??

(15 Posts)
topsi Wed 02-May-12 19:15:48

Could someone explain to me about domain names please!
Is it better to have a .com or .co.uk and what is the difference.
Also where is the best site to purchase from.
Many thanks

AgathaFusty Wed 02-May-12 19:44:22

Is it for a business, hobby site??

If a business, is it mainly UK based, or will it be trading internationally?

Many sites where you can buy domains from - might be easier to buy from the company who you will purchase hosting from. If someone else is building you a site, ask them where they host.

tanfastic Wed 02-May-12 19:47:52

I can only go by my personal experience (my dh is the computer tech whereas I'm the creative).

When I set up my business in 2007 I went .com (but obviously bought co.uk aswell).

I was getting hundreds of hits to my site from America but hardly any from the uk. After several months of no sales I swapped it to co.uk and it was the best thing I ever did.

Google is a complete enigma though. What worked back then may not work now.

tanfastic Wed 02-May-12 19:48:25

I use 123 reg by the way

southeastastra Wed 02-May-12 19:49:28

how much is it roughtly tanfastic?

tanfastic Wed 02-May-12 19:52:23

For the domain name I think about 20 quid a year but I'm not sure. As I say my dh deals with that side of my business, I have not much idea about such things!

AgathaFusty Wed 02-May-12 19:57:12

.co.uk domains usually start from around £5 - 6 per year - usually buy 2 years up front.

.com domains are around £20 per year - again it is usual to purchase a couple of years, then renew annually.

southeastastra Wed 02-May-12 19:57:47

is it as easy as it looks on 123.com??

membrillo Wed 02-May-12 19:58:38

The price will vary according to the perceived value by the domain name sellers of a domain name!

AgathaFusty Wed 02-May-12 19:59:24

It depends really on what you want the domain for as to which is the best to buy. If it is a business, and you are building a brand, it is probably best to purchase the .co.uk and the .com - you can get your website to display on both of them at the same time if you are not sure which one is more suitable.

AgathaFusty Wed 02-May-12 20:00:07

123 reg is very easy. The support is ok, not brilliant, but probably as good as anyone elses.

southeastastra Wed 02-May-12 20:11:56

thanks have registered!!

topsi Thu 03-May-12 08:42:46

It is a UK based business. Am still confused about this hosting thing. I have not talked to any one about the web site yet as I am still saving the ££.

AgathaFusty Thu 03-May-12 09:50:07

If it is a UK based business then you will probably find the .co.uk domain is good, although if the .com is available I would probably buy it as well and just 'sit on it' for a couple of years.

The hosting is the place where your website 'works from'. All sites need to be hosted somewhere, the where will come down to either your personal preference, your designer/developers preference, or if you go for one of the free DIY sites (wouldn't necessarily recommend this) then hosting is usually included.

I'm a web designer so drop me a pm if you would like more specific advice.

floraheaven Sat 19-Jan-13 05:29:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now