How much does it cost to get a website designed?

(14 Posts)
ethelb Thu 14-Mar-13 21:29:57

I know this is a zombie thread, but maybe the OP wants to upgrade to a lovely flashy new theme, like the lovely ones on Woo www.woothemes.com/product-category/themes/. They are lush and I am using one for my website.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 14-Mar-13 18:40:01

Ha! Here's hoping!

Tee2072 Thu 14-Mar-13 17:57:01

I'm thinking the OP probably has a website by now...

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 14-Mar-13 17:56:18

I'd recommend Moonfruit if what you want is relatively straightforward. I like the designs and it is really simple to tailor them to what you want. However, I would advise working with someone who understands SEO, digital marketing etc and can do some decent copywriting unless you are strong those areas.

As a sideline I have set up sites for people and guided them through the process of getting it seen and keeping it seen. As Santeeclause said that's vital.

BWSEOHULL Wed 13-Mar-13 22:25:53

The original GBBO support number 0800 500 3123 and GBBO FAQ help page have now stopped working. (avoid GBBO if you can - for various reasons)

Anyone who created their GBBO website during 2010/2011, and requires support / help managing, renewing, or transferring their GBBO website, can find the original FAQ page on our website. (can't link to it, as nannynet will delete it)

Wordpress.org and cheap hosting will get you started, but only active online promotion, and a Google-friendly website will attract the customers you need to survive. (read-up on SEO and Online Marketing)
Without SEO+OM, your website will just be an online brochure you can refer people to, not a sales lead-generation tool.

ChristinedePizaTinsel Tue 03-Jan-12 20:20:39

I did mine through this initiative: www.gbbo.co.uk/ which is a Google initiative. It's free for the first year and I found it (relatively) easy to set up my own site.

It's worth a go

trulyscrumptious43 Tue 03-Jan-12 20:13:42

I am interested in this thread as I want to get my own website up for my garden design business.
I have photos, art work and most of the text - I have yet to secure the website address.
A friend who runs a business doing this sort of thing wants £600 for hosting/design.
I can't quite run to it. The website needs to be just a brochure of my work really, I don't need to be top of the google search scale as it's just me and I'm not touting for clients, this is just some thing for them to look at as exmaples of my work.
Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Would appreciate advice.

SanTEEClaus Wed 07-Dec-11 15:37:14

I'm the MNetter MmeL is talking about but there are a lot of us around.

I actually agree that if you just need something basic you're much better off using WordPress to build your own site.

Where you might need help (and what, I, personally, specialize in) is keeping it up to date. It's all well and good to have a site but it needs to be updated fairly regularly to keep people interested in looking at it and recommending it to other people. This is, of course, something you can also do yourself, but I find many many businesses, especially small ones, just don't have the time.

Not trying to hard sell you or anything, just thought I'd throw that out there. grin Feel free to PM me with questions, I am available for consultation as well, sometimes for free for a follow back link or at least credit on your site somewhere, depending on how much/what you might need.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 07-Dec-11 14:12:24

For the first 8 years I used a totally homemade one that cost me nothing apart from hosting
I then got it revamped by Simon at UK Sitebuilder for a couple of hundred pounds
My BiL's site has cost him £45,000 - but he'll make it back!

LynnCSchreiber Wed 07-Dec-11 12:39:19

How long is a piece of string?

I think that the price can differ enormously, depending on what you are looking for.

Sarky is right - you can set up your own website with very little IT knowledge. With wordpress.com you can self-host (which gives the advantage of having your own url) so that your website is www.helzapoppin.com for example.

There is a MNetter who works in this area, will send her your way. She has helped me loads with my blog.

TopazMortmain Wed 07-Dec-11 12:34:17

Doh. I mean wix.com

TopazMortmain Wed 07-Dec-11 12:32:23

Try wixx.com?

SarkySpanner Wed 07-Dec-11 12:30:34

It is now REALLY easy to set up your own professional looking website using blogging software (like wordpress) with no technical knowledge.

If all you want to do is provide information then give this a try. Just sign up and follow the instructions.

Helzapoppin Wed 07-Dec-11 12:28:01

Hi,
I'm going self employed in Feb and really need a website to market my business. It will be a pretty simple ten or so page affair, just with information and contact details. I'll be working as an independent psychologist.
Can anyone let me know, from their experience, roughly how much this would cost? (And any suggestions for reliable web designers would also be gratefully received!)

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now