Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Grandparents as foster carers long sorry!

(9 Posts)
LesbianMummy1 Thu 11-Jun-09 18:52:32

hi wondering if anybody knows of any benefits etc my friend would be entitled to.

She has her grandson living with her now hopefully getting residence order next week so we have put in her claim for child benefit and tax credits but cause her self-employed husband had a good tax year last year they are entitled to only about £10 a week tax credits.

My friend has given up work to care for her grandson because of the situation and him needing stability so income is over a third down on last year and her husband has had really slow start to this tax year and periods with no money coming in surely they must be eligible for something else any ideas

thank you!

lou031205 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:17:35

Anyone who has a sudden drop in income is quite entitled to phone the tax credits office and ask them to calculate their tax credits based on their projected income for the year. Bear in mind, though, that this will result in an overpayment if you misjudge the amount of your income for the year.

LesbianMummy1 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:19:12

thank you we are only just submitting claim should she ring and speak to them before sending form she was gonna post tomorrow

MrsMuddle Thu 11-Jun-09 19:40:37

Some local authorities are going to start paying kinship carers the same amount as non-related foster carers get. Not sure where your friend is, but it may be worthwhile checking with her local SW dept.

LesbianMummy1 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:54:55

we are in Portsmouth looked on council website but can't see anything have said to her to ask social services again

lou031205 Thu 11-Jun-09 20:07:37

Here is a link to the Kinship carers policy in Hampshire.

Financial help is assessed and is dependent on age of child and financial circumstances.

LesbianMummy1 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:26:07

lou thank you exactly what we were looking for had looked on cab and direct.gov but had not thought of googling

lou031205 Fri 12-Jun-09 10:26:30

Glad to help.

dominica123 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:56:25

I have my 3 grandchildren all under 5 now living with me due to my daughters substance misuse. I feel it is an injustice that despite giving up work due to these circumstances we get no respite hours or any other support unlike foster carers.
I'm a single grandparent and very little help from the other grandparents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now