Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Newbie question

(5 Posts)
happyvalley4 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:05:34

Hi. My DH and I are seriously considering fostering. We have one DD age 7. DH works 50-60 hours a week. I work approx 15 hours per week but am self employed so am very flexible with days / hours.

I have been reading all the other posts and have a good handle on the amount of involvement and commitment required by FC's.

My question is will the LA / SW's expect my DH to be equally involved in the process or would I be able to do it all ( eg meetings , paperwork etc)

Obviously DH wants to be involved but due to his work commitments won't be available for meetings etc during the week. So that side of it would fall to me.

TIA

Tanclarman123 Tue 16-Aug-16 23:23:02

Hi, we have just been approved and are waiting for our first placement. i am the primary carer and my husband secondary. I had to stop working altogether and only worked part time anyway. There are a few training days ie child protection that my husband has to go on. There are a few he can do on line in own time. My social worker was of the opinion that although we both fully wish to be involved I would be more involved than my husband, due to his work commitments. We were asked say if I was unwell could my husband take time off work if a child needed to go to contact or if there was a meeting in the day and I was unwell could he attend. Basically, would hubby be around if I was not. Mine is as he is self employed. So although most of the day to day care falls to me, would he be able to be back up. Hope that helps! X

Twopots Fri 19-Aug-16 08:34:45

My husband had to attend all the prep training days etc when we were going through the process, since we qualified I have done all meetings, training, contact etc etc our SS are of the opinion that as long as one of us does it it's fine. My husband also works long hours so expecting him to do anything is unrealistic, good luck

Twopots Fri 19-Aug-16 08:35:03

My husband had to attend all the prep training days etc when we were going through the process, since we qualified I have done all meetings, training, contact etc etc our SS are of the opinion that as long as one of us does it it's fine. My husband also works long hours so expecting him to do anything is unrealistic, good luck

happyvalley4 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:52:17

Thank you for your replies - that really helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now