Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

calls me and everyone mummy

(4 Posts)
Peach123plum Thu 23-Jun-16 12:45:47

I have a two year old with little speech. She calls everyone mummy. Worried about upsetting mum who has regular contact. Any tips for changing this? Love the other ways she has improved, hands me her dummy in morning now, as knows I put it away. Also had tantrum every time crossed road and held hands, now holds out her hand and says hand. One other lovely thing is seeing how my child is loving role of big brother.

wishfulthink Thu 23-Jun-16 12:59:58

Could you be "mummypeach"? And other mum "realmummy?"

Or you be "ummy" and mum be "mummy"

3PurpleCrocs Fri 24-Jun-16 12:03:24

Calling you mummy is typical. Are you long term or task centred? For short term placements I gently correct each time I'm called mummy as it's yet another stick for birth parents to beat you with if they overhear - and in my experience SWs will side with them.

For longer term placements I correct initially then let the child decide.

smile

Peach123plum Fri 24-Jun-16 13:23:18

Only with me till September then one of three things are happening. Either back to mum, to family member or adoption. Once she called me "not mummy". Now make point of saying name. I think if not correct her 1 year old brother will copy. mum phoned sw as One had stratch on back. In general hand over for contact goes well, so not sure why not just ask me, how he did it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now