Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Considering being a foster carers.

(8 Posts)
Sue0678 Thu 16-Jun-16 18:37:23

Hi, I'm new here and in the very early stages of considering applying to become a foster carer. We have 3 children who are 10, 8 and 7, who at the moment all have their own bedrooms. In order to create a spare room my 2 girls would have to share. I've heard that this isn't an acceptable way to create a spare room as the birth children may resent the foster child. Is this right? My girls are very happy to share so to us it wouldn't be an issue but I can see it may raise concerns to social workers who have the best interests of the foster child at heart.
Thanks in advance.

Twopots Fri 17-Jun-16 20:39:28

My LA won't let you move your children into the same room just so you can foster, my children share and always have done. You could try moving them now before you start the process, see how the girls get on sharing a room and if they are happy you can say this to SS when you begin the process.

Sue0678 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:33:20

Thanks for that. Yes that's a good idea. We're still thinking about it and what effect it may have on our own children. Thanks again for your suggestion.

YorkshireMansWife Tue 21-Jun-16 14:41:52

The LA we foster for would frown upon moving birth children to share to create the space, exactly for reasons you have given. Like Twopots said, move them now and give them a few months to settle and see how they go. Hopefully there will be no issues but then again you never know.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

mouldycheesefan Tue 21-Jun-16 14:44:32

They may want to share now but wouldn't they want their own rooms in a couple years? Or would you move? Or stop fostering when they want their own space?

Sue0678 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:55:02

Yes, you're right. I think we've decided it wouldn't be fair on anyone. 🙁

Candycoco Tue 21-Jun-16 22:54:04

You could foster newborns as 0-2 year olds can sleep in your room ?

YorkshireMansWife Wed 22-Jun-16 09:31:34

Regarding 0-2, I do think it depends on the LA/IFA you are going with.
Certainly the LA we foster for doesn't assess anybody without a spare room even if their intention is only to foster 0-2. They can sleep in your room till they are two but what would happen if the child turned two and you didn't have a spare room, an unnecessary move would then need to be done which could be more damaging in the long term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now