Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Apologies!

(13 Posts)
Backinthe1960s Sun 11-Oct-15 09:19:12

I have just had a slapped wrist from Mumsnet HQ for posting a link to my Mumsnet fostering blog to this part of the site. I genuinely thought that people might be interested in the experiences of a former foster child but I have been told that somebody complained.

Sorry, it will not happen again.

BigBlueBookcase Sun 11-Oct-15 15:40:48

Who would complain? confused

I've read some of your blog, it's really interesting. I know lots of things are different now, but it's still interesting for anyone who's interested in/thinking about fostering. Sorry you got a slapped wrist. flowers

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 11-Oct-15 15:43:34

I suspect it was because you have posted several OPs with links to different blog posts. Looks like spamming the board.

Backinthe1960s Sun 18-Oct-15 11:50:34

I wonder if foster children find death (human or pets) particularly hard to deal with?

I have written a blog entry about how deaths in the family pushed me into being a foster child and how other deaths were so hard to cope with when there is no family support.

I haven't dare put a link in, even though I am a Mumsnet Blogger, because of Mumsnet rules!

Backinthe1960s Sat 31-Oct-15 10:52:10

I have just added another page to my Mumsnet blog -
"My last day living with my foster parents"

Backinthe1960s Sat 14-Nov-15 14:33:05

My latest Mumsnet blog page -
"How Christmas and Birthday celebrations changed before and after fostering."

Backinthe1960s Sat 21-Nov-15 11:35:17

On the buses - adventures of a foster child

Backinthe1960s Sat 28-Nov-15 11:51:26

My first week as a foster child

Backinthe1960s Sat 05-Dec-15 13:23:14

I have just published my latest entry in my Mumsnet blog. This week I have written about the good and the bad role models I had as a foster child.

Backinthe1960s Sat 12-Dec-15 11:43:01

I have just updated my Mumsnet blog with some curious stories about my first months as a foster child in St Albans.

infife Sun 13-Dec-15 23:07:25

Well, I must say I very much enjoyed your blog. I couldn't help feeling sad for you when I read about how your were treated as a visitor rather than part of the family, especially given how long you were with them!

Just a suggestion, rather than a criticism, some of the content is repetitive and the order makes it hard to follow. I realise that this is because you've been compiling your thoughts as and when, so the sequence is a little out. Perhaps you'd consider writing a chronological account?

I'm only suggesting this, because we don't hear that many accounts from people who've been fostered, and I think you've got a lot of useful things to say, even though fostering has moved on since your day. For example, your comments about the birthday cards... while we'd obviously get our kids birthday cards, it made me think that perhaps we should ask other members of the family to get a card, even if they've only met the child once or twice.

Any advice we can get - from people who've actually been fostered - on how to include and show our foster children they're loved, well, it's all welcome.

Backinthe1960s Thu 17-Dec-15 19:33:59

You are right of course - what I was planning to do was to write all the sections (as I remember them) then put them in the correct order and delete all the duplication.

Backinthe1960s Sun 10-Jan-16 11:59:12

My latest blog entry is about the long-term loneliness linked to being fostered. I have been encouraged so much by some of kind comments made like "I love the restrained sadness of his writing."

oldtimefostering.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/long-term-loneliness-and-being-fostered.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now