Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

First time foster Mum

(5 Posts)
moobags78 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:58:44

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place but I am looking for advice.

We are hopefully going to be adopting a sibling group in the next coming weeks and have been told that the two children are the foster mother first we therefore are looking for any help or advice so that we are are able help her and ourselves with the transition.

Thanks for any pointers words of wisdom etc.

Lady G

scarlet5tyger Tue 04-Aug-15 17:14:45

Hi, firstly congratulations! Secondly (and this is meant kindly) it's not your job to help the foster carer, she should have a support network for this. Yes moving children on is one of the hardest parts of fostering but intros will be hard enough on you without you having an additional (adult) person to worry about.

Other, more general, advice I would offer would be watch and listen to what she does, stick to her routines even if you disagree with them, stick to the times provided at your planning meeting (I've had new parents extend times by a couple of hours - which is understandable as they don't want to leave their new child at the end of each day - but foster family needs time to recharge their batteries each night too) and Most important of all for me - send a text the first night the children come home to say all has gone well.

Good luck!

Twopots Tue 04-Aug-15 21:05:53

Soak up as much information as you can from the foster family and stick to those routines etc until the child is settled enough to slowly change to fit into your life, children need routine and to change to quickly won't be good for them.
I personally love the children like my own but am also happy to see them join a loving family so as scarlet said a text would be nice just to let us know all is well and the children have settled. Plus don't be afraid to ask the foster carer any questions about the children that you may be worried about.
Congratulations on your new family xxxx

LadyGar Tue 04-Aug-15 22:40:51

Thank you for you replies she adores the kids and with them being her first I just want to make sure she is ok too if that makes sense x

Twopots Wed 05-Aug-15 08:48:47

That's really nice of you, maybe a card for her when you collect the children and occasional updates would be really appreciated. How long have you got till your family come home for good? It's such an exciting time xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now