Waiting to hear when the placement will start.....

(10 Posts)
kittymonkeymummy Mon 24-Feb-14 20:50:03

Last week my DP and i were approached about 2 siblings to whom we said yes, since confirmation that we're getting them which came next day we haven't heard anything more (know the names, age, which school they go to and about contact with their family). No idea when they will be placed. Our SSW has been chasing children's SW for a week now and also has given my mobile number, so we can be contacted after the office hours easily.
Is this odd to anyone else other than me or is this normal that there's no more info about the children yet?
Our SSW said it's a bit odd..

wonderpants Tue 25-Feb-14 07:18:37

It wouldn't be odd in my LA, the SW line up a placement before they need it, so they may be a delay in court proceedings for example. Unfortunately, communication could be much improved. I spent 10 days being told 'coming tomorrow' before my current FC arrived.

kittymonkeymummy Tue 25-Feb-14 07:27:29

Thanks for the answer! The FC are with another carer atm but she handed in a notice. I think that notice period id's 28 days.. So we may be getting them in 2 or 3 weeks I guess...

sweetmelissa Tue 25-Feb-14 09:24:35

I have to say that basic info is often all we get if the placement is either task centred or respite. In fact sometimes even less than that as the Duty Desk who initially make the call know very little themselves. Age and a name is sometimes all we know. Sometimes more info about likes and dislikes can be given from previous carers in a quick call, but if the children are newly in care obviously that isn't possible, Further information is usually provided in the first meeting after the children are placed with us, so until then it is playing it by ear. Think we've got used to it by now, and realise just getting the children to a place of safety is the priority and any information will follow on. Though with your 2 or 3 week timescale there is plenty of time yet - though I know you must be anxious.

When it is for a longer term placement there is often, but not always, a much slower introductory process where more information is shared and time for meetings to be arranged. Hopefully there is also time to meet the previous carers and the children's SW, as well as the child themselves.

Good luck!

wonderpants Tue 25-Feb-14 12:35:05

Are you LA or IFA?
Just struck me that if they were being moved in house (from carers in same LA), the fostering team should have a lot of information.

kittymonkeymummy Tue 25-Feb-14 14:15:38

Thanks for replying! We were told last week that FC are coming this week and also that we will meet them before they come to stay with us. It's a long term placement and I suggested we meet with current foster carer to ask about FC everyday routine, etc. The timescale was a week but now I'm thinking it will probably be longer since the current foster carer just handed in the notice a week ago or so..

kittymonkeymummy Tue 25-Feb-14 14:16:45

I'm not aware whether they're coming from LA or IFA..

ghostinthecanvas Tue 25-Feb-14 14:27:23

It is odd actually. It sounds like social services are keeping all bases covered and maybe hoping cheaper/closer placement comes up. It would be better for everyone to meet sooner rather than later.
Has there been full disclosure why the carer gave notice on a longterm placement. I am not being nosy, don't want to know the reason. Just be sure you have all the information you need about why the placement ended. It is relevant to how you manage the children.
I hope you know more soon and good luck.

kittymonkeymummy Tue 25-Feb-14 21:24:25

That's exactly what I was thinking ghostinthecanvas.
We have been told why current carer gave notice and it seems reasonable, however this could as well be just something to plug the hole.
My worry is that the SW hasn't really given much info at all and has not been accessible since.
Am I right thinking notice period (if not for personal circumstances) is usually 28 days? - so I gather that if we do get the children, it won't be until the notice period's up.
Hope so too and thanks! smile

ghostinthecanvas Tue 25-Feb-14 21:29:48

Notice is 28 days. However, it can be done faster. Depends on circumstances. If it is all fairly easy going and the kids aren't aware too early I guess 28 days would be work. If it is a difficult end it can be faster for the good of all concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now